Bearded dragon setup. no thermostat setups?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zuesowns

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been researching setups for bearded dragons, I can't find much information on this forum, not sure if the threads have been removed, but search function isn't bringing up much.

I would like know what your bearded dragon setup is, without using thermostat?

ideally, I would like to setup an enclosure without using 2 bulbs, eg. Heat lamp and a UV Light. I understand MVB provide both, Heat and UV - what are your thoughts? I have also seen a lot of people suggest flood lights, are these purely for UV light only?

Hi mate. I personally think that the best way is to have a UVB tube light with a 10.0% rating. Then also have a basking lamp probably a 75w. Then you can just build up the basking spot underneath it to get it to a temp of 40-45c. No thermostats. If you are on gold coast you will be fine to switch both lights off at night.

Most people only run an on/off thermostat at the cool end for days that get warm, set to around 34c at the cool end. Getting the wattage of your lamp right so that the heat lamp stays on for 99.9% of the time so the dragon can choose when it wants to bask without the lamp going off all the time.

I use 42w halogens in my 4ft enclosures with 2/3 of the back ventilated, i do not use a thermostat and choose to turn off heat on the really hot days we get here in SA (40c+).

Rick

Don't go buying those rip-off $40 'reptile lights' at the pet shops. Head down to bunnings and buy yourself a floodlight for 3 bucks. Exactly the same bulb just without the stupid price tag.

Don't go buying those rip-off $40 'reptile lights' at the pet shops. Head down to bunnings and buy yourself a floodlight for 3 bucks. Exactly the same bulb just without the stupid price tag.

I use osram 42w halogens. Around $5-6 each. These last 6-18 months are get a lot better hot spot then a normal incandescent bulb, they work out at about a 75w bulb at almost half the wattage.

Rick

I use osram 42w halogens. Around $5-6 each. These last 6-18 months are get a lot better hot spot then a normal incandescent bulb, they work out at about a 75w bulb at almost half the wattage.

Rick

The lowest I've seen are 50w. Do you get yours from bunnings? I haven't seen them.

I use the Nelson 50w halogens with a compact uv in a 5x3x2 melamine and MVB 100w in the 5x2x2 tank. A 40w Phillips spotone and compact uv in the smaller hatchie tanks.
I just run mine on timers, on for 12 hours a day and if its really hot weather (40deg+) I just run the uv without the heat.
Where do you get the 42w osrams from Rick?

I use the Nelson 50w halogens with a compact uv in a 5x3x2 melamine and MVB 100w in the 5x2x2 tank. A 40w Phillips spotone and compact uv in the smaller hatchie tanks.
I just run mine on timers, on for 12 hours a day and if its really hot weather (40deg+) I just run the uv without the heat.
Where do you get the 42w osrams from Rick?

Bunnings.

I also dont use uvb spirals as they test up with pretty bad uvb output and need to be run for 10-12hrs before being used with any reptile (too high an output).

Rick

so it probably works out cheaper to run a 50W heat source and UV source, rather than a 100-125w MVB

Wattage wise yes, but the MVB is the better option imo, but you need plenty of ventilation for them. My mvb is in a glass tank with a high hood.

I've used compacts and tubes (with heat lights) and mvb, in my experience the animals are brighter, more active and have better appetites when they are under a mvb. You do need plenty of ventilation though and the tank needs to be big enough because you can't run one on a thermostat.

I will most likely be reprimanded for this but I belong to Australian Bearded Dragon Forum and there is alot of helpful threads on there about everything Bearded Dragons and also alot of helpful people like here.

I will most likely be reprimanded for this but I belong to Australian Bearded Dragon Forum and there is alot of helpful threads on there about everything Bearded Dragons and also alot of helpful people like here.

The OP is also on ABDF and has asked this question on there and in pms as well. Just gathering as much info as he can which is commendable. Hopefully he has gathered enough info to make an educated decision based on the enclosure he has to set it up properly.

yes, there is a lot of conflicting information and everyone has a different setup, but ultimately producing the same result.

so it was helpful to different opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back