Started my background today

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamat

Reaction score
So I thought I'd give it a shot and have a go making my own background for one of my enclosures. Here's stage 1 done. Now to wait for the glue to dry, then more sculping before applying the mortar.

I'm pretty happy so far given its my first ever attempt.

Happy to get and feedback or advice

ejumunu7.jpg

Looks really good, i'm liking the ledge! What kind of reptile have you got going in there?

Wow. That's going to being impressive.

Only tip I have is look up how to paint. There's a trick about painting on different angles to make a shadow affect.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I hope it works out. I've seen a few you tube videos on how to paint these, but I'm no Picarso.
This is for my 4' enclosure my juvenile Bredli python is in. I plan to move it to a bigger enclosure in the near future and will probably use this for some beardies.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

Stage 2 almost complete with 2 layers of mortar down and one to go. Then to start painting in the detail.
3y2a2u5e.jpg

je9a8yte.jpg

Decided to make a hide with the left over foam. Here it is after the first coat of mortar.
a3y3anep.jpg

Yes pinefamily. I plan on several coats of sealer, but will add a little coloured sand for texture and amore realistic effect.

Get pondsealer not pondtite. Pondtite has a shinier finish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I suppose you can get that from Bunnings?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Tapatalk

The crommelins clear pond sealer is great. Not to shiny and available at bunnings.

zezysytu.jpg

The trick is to apply multiple thin coats to avoid 'ghosting' of it gets too wet.

Your background is looking really good so far. Some greys, pale yellows and greenish shade will make it look like a real sandstone cliff face. :)

Started another hide today using some left over bits and pieces. Completely different design. I quite like the gaping opening in front with recessed wall.

hy4aququ.jpg

Initial detail and first coat of shading colour on. Can't believe how well this is turning out. Absolutely pleased as punch!
sysahaty.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back