Lacie behaviour question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

-Peter

I have a largish older male lacie from West Head in care currently. It resides mostly in a burrow in my outside pit where it hides when anyone is around. I recently noticed a large branch had been dragged toward the burrow which concerned me. I thought someone had been in. Saturday I trimmed the overhanging tree branches and left them in the pit. Sunday I find a number of the branches have been dragged into the burrow entrances. Anyone else ever noticed this type of behaviour?

Curious indeed... I've never seen or heard of this behaviour before.
Perhaps [MENTION=12451]crocdoc[/MENTION] or [MENTION=745]serpenttongue[/MENTION] have.

Hi Peter! How's the patient doing?

The only time I've seen branches being moved around is when females are nesting and are back-filling after laying. They'll turn away from the nest site and scrape things back towards it. I've seen branches that have been flung back towards termite mounds and which have consequently ended up being cemented onto the surface of the mound (and eventually enveloped) by the termite workers.

He is looking a lot better, still needs to put on a bit of weight and the leg will never be useful I'm afraid. These branches seem to have been deliberately dragged into the openings. The largest is about six foot and has a diameter of 2 inches up to 4 inches. Probably barricading himself in.

Try to catch him in the act, if possible. It would be a great observation to record.

what was its injury? is it possibly its been trying to rub through the branches to remove an itch or some skin and has pushed it back towards its burrow in the process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back