So you couldn't sleep last night?...neither could I.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty hard time getting to sleep last night, after finding a Funnel-Web Spider under my bed.

Your reason for not sleeping doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

hahahaaaaaa
Sorry I actually lol'ed at the "I touched it" sentence.
I can just imagine the high pitched squeak of your voice while saying it.

Don't get me wrong I would be right there squeaking with you, it is just funny.

I thought you had a reason why many of us didn't sleep well last night. I normally sleep like a log but kept waking up last night.

The fiancée had me checking every inch of the room, bed sheets and under the bed for any other monsters. Luckily, I found nothing.

But from what I could find out about funnel-webs, is at this time of year, the males are out searching for females. So I suppose it's only a matter of time before I find another one.

Good thing I have 2 indoor cats, that so happen to be immune to funnel-web venom. It's like having to guards patrolling the house 24/7.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought you had a reason why many of us didn't sleep well last night. I normally sleep like a log but kept waking up last night.

Nope, sorry. Just another reason to stay awake :lol:

I too have touched a funnel web -- about 45 yrs ago herping at Pearl Beach with my brother we were digging out skinks from the sand wall at the back of the beach , I said I felt one and my brother took over ( older bigger dig faster ) pulled his finger out pretty quick with the funnel web still attached I smashed it dad grabbed him and I didn't see him for a week !!! . we were not allowed to herp at grandma's ever again .

back to the thread I haven't had a good nights sleep since September swap your funnel web for a 15 yr old anytime :rolleyes:

aa2.jpg

Pity ya killed it, I haven't kept a funnel web yet, a few different types of Tarantula's including locally caught ones, huntsmans including a 12.5cm legspan golden huntsman, jumping spiders, ogre-faced spiders, long-fanged, a few sp of ground spider and a beautiful golden trapdoor.
Still want to keep some red headed mouse spiders.

Haven't woke up with anything too poisonous yet, closest I came was a small E. rubripes centipede that got out and ended up on a sheet out in the loungeroom that ended up in the bedroom.
It didn't like me rolling over onto it, gave me a little love nip and got me up pretty quick when I felt the legs on my shoulder, thankfully was only a little rubripes of about 8cm, not one of the bigger ones I've kept, got it back into a container quickly.

Last edited:
Funnel webs are very good easy to catch and there is no reason to kill them. Should have caught it alive and given it to the Australian reptile park who always need more for anti venom.

Funnel webs are very good easy to catch and there is no reason to kill them. Should have caught it alive and given it to the Australian reptile park who always need more for anti venom.

I didn't kill it, my cats did. If I caught it alive, then yes, I would have taken it in for anti venom. But they beat me too it.

It was dead under your bed? That's a nice size fella too.

I put on some jeans on the weekend and a white tail fell out the leg, after I put em on. Fun times

It was dead under your bed? That's a nice size fella too.

I put on some jeans on the weekend and a white tail fell out the leg, after I put em on. Fun times

Yes, I was picking up some things the cats had dragged slightly under the bed and I picked up what I thought was a ball of wire, turns out it was a funnel-web that I was rolling inbetween my fingers, brrrrrr.
With its legs spread, it was about the size of my palm, and I have big hands.

I have countless numbers of white tails here, I'm use to them.

That's pretty cool, maybe not so cool for you - I'd love to have a live one at that size.

This happened to me when I was about 9 or 10, grabbed my togs off the line, whipped em on and BAMM!! got bit about an inch away from the little man. According to the spider chart in the kitchen cupboard it was a mouse spider??
For this reason I never ever leave cloths on the line over night.

[MENTION=37779]Shane73[/MENTION] It's certainly not a good feeling. I've had a few run ins with white tails on my clothes or in my bed, can think of atleast 4 occasions. I did get bitten on the foot by one though and my flesh didn't rot off :p Had some na S'sty blisters though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back