Rescued eastern water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kell1980

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just recently rescued two baby water dragons from my dogs which I'm guessing they have not long hatched from their eggs, was wondering y they would be this close to my home to start with but have a feeling it would have a lot to do with the construction that has been happening, I don't want them getting hurt by my dogs or by the cars either so I was wondering how I would go at getting them added to my license

Hi all,
I have just recently rescued two baby water dragons from my dogs which I'm guessing they have not long hatched from their eggs, was wondering y they would be this close to my home to start with but have a feeling it would have a lot to do with the construction that has been happening, I don't want them getting hurt by my dogs or by the cars either so I was wondering how I would go at getting them added to my license

If they are from the wild they need to be released. There isn't anyway to have then added to your license.

What Fractal_man says is correct, regardless of which state you live in. If you think they may have been injured, then get the to a wildlife carer for assessment and rehabilitation before release.

Blue

Ok cool thank you guys, also was wondering if relocating them to a local national park would be ideal for these lil guys cos I know it would be safer for them and there's plenty of water holes for them to swim in, cause releasing them any where near my home is not safe for them

Ok cool thank you guys, also was wondering if relocating them to a local national park would be ideal for these lil guys cos I know it would be safer for them and there's plenty of water holes for them to swim in, cause releasing them any where near my home is not safe for them

That would be a very thoughtful thing to do and I approve. :)

yep, as usual it's perfectly legal to develop land and destroy habitats, but illegal to take in a wild reptile whose habitat had been destroyed by development.

I agree brownbird, altho Kell1980 you should look into whether the water dragons are territorial some reptiles can be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before relocating, oops sorry forgot to finish my comment I'm on the ball today :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

You would need to check with your relevant department.
From memory (and I may be wrong) but as a licensed relocator you cannot remove or relocate a reptile to a national park. I'm pretty sure it would be the same for an unlicensed relocation. I think rule of thumb is 2-5 km from where you found it.
Someone like Sssssnakeman or another more experienced member may be able to explain further.

In Vic its within 5km [MENTION=40011]Kell1980[/MENTION] :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back