Friendly Vent

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edukeeper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just needed to vent to some people who may understand my frustration (my partner doesn't :|).

I have been an extreme animal lover since before I could talk. Unfortunately I grew up in an 'anti-pet' family... This sucked. Wanting to interact with animals, watch them, learn from them, love them, and being powerless to do so is not fun. FINALLY I moved out when I went to uni and thought I would now be able to get a pet. I had my heart set on a cockatiel. The real estate said the owner wouldn't let me. Just when I knocked one barrier down, another pops up. I couldn't believe it. After a year I had enough and wrote to the landlord outlining all my research and plans. It was a pretty epic letter. Epic enough to work! I was able to get my very first pet - Billy. He is the best bird and remains a great friend.

Then I discovered reptiles. I know was quite late to the reptile scene - most of you were probably obsessed with reptiles since you were very young. It took me a while to save up the cash to get my reptile licence (being a uni student, having spare money was rare), but last year I finally got one. While doing a uni prac in the education department at Taronga Zoo, I met another reptile lover who had a Blue-Tongue that recently gave birth. She was able to sell me one along with an enclosure with all the trimmings (at mates rates of course). He is a brilliant little lizard and I love him to death.

Now here is the main part of my vent. I have recently finished uni and am now a primary teacher! This is great, except casual days are few and far between. Money, still, is rare. I always thought when I finished uni I would get a job and finally be able to have some extra money! I even made a promise to myself when I was not able to afford a Spotted Python at last years reptile expo here in Newcastle - I would finish uni, spend the year researching how to house and care for the python, and save the money to pay for it when I get a job. A year has passed, the Newcastle reptile expo is this Sunday, and I was not able to keep my promise :(. I did finish uni, and I did spend the year researching, however I was not able to secure a job and do not have the money for an enclosure or the python. Once again, this frustrated animal lover has come across another barrier.

I am definitely not just having a winge! I just needed to vent my frustration. I understand that good things come to those who wait and I will get through this new barrier with time and hard work. I am excited to spend another year researching and (hopefully) saving.

Next year will be the year I meet my Spotted Python ;). Watch this space.

When life throws you lemons make the best darn lemonade you can :D You could put a wanted add on reptile websites, perhaps asking if a breeder has any excess hatchlings or stock they would be willing to gift you. Try going to a waste facility and building an enclosure while waiting for your hearts desire to arrive(or the money for said reptile to be saved) As far as the unsympathetic partner goes...... Uhmmm no comment. I can never not say whats on my mind, I believe partners need to be supportive of your passions AND sympathetic(providing it is reciprocated)

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree with that philosophy!
I have never thought of asking breeders to gift reptiles. I wouldn't have thought they would even consider such a request. I have never been one to ask for freebies, however once I have an enclosure and if I am still low on spare cash, I may have to do this!
As for making my own enclosure - I did plan to do this once. You might have seen a previous post late last year where I was asking advice on potential set ups for a tv unit I got to convert. Unfortunately I had to sell the unit to pay a bill, but I will definitely give it another go when I can collect some materials!
Haha my partner is supportive of my plans to own these animals, she just doesn't want to hear my complaining about how things haven't turned out how I imagined. I cant really blame her for that haha. She still wants to come with me to the expo to have a look around - so that's something!

Best of luck in all your endeavours mate, hopefully we can see some pictures of edukeepers spotted python down the line. :)

I had some cash saved up for the expo, then my car broke down and had to be towed. 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I had wanted a snake for years. My husband of 31 years refused.
When we separated, I got my snake. That was last year and I was 51.

So all I can say is that when the time is right, it will happen.

Sadly, your first big mistake was opting for teaching... you're treated like trash from day 1, and the prospect of permanency these days is nil. My wife taught for 25 years until she had a gutful of the crap, and retrained as a psych and is loving it - interesting work and double the money.

Jamie

Sadly, your first big mistake was opting for teaching... you're treated like trash from day 1, and the prospect of permanency these days is nil. My wife taught for 25 years until she had a gutful of the crap, and retrained as a psych and is loving it - interesting work and double the money.

Jamie
Psych work is truly very interesting, I started cert 1V in mental health. I found the theory intriguing, unfortunately I lacked the ability to switch off and not become too involved in the practical side of things. I admire those in that field, it is an extremely tough one :D I think Teachers are underpaid and shown very little respect. Is it just me? or are other's noticing a down turn in Male Teachers?

CM, male teachers, especially male Primary teachers, are a rarity these days, and it's one of the real problems schools face into the future. Role-models for male students are pretty much non-existent. Many of the professions where personal interest and dedication should be contributing factors to satisfying life careers, like nursing and teaching, are now so overwhelmed with bureaucratic claptrap that they become very unrewarding to work in. Unless you aim for an administrative pathway (ie, become a corporate ladder-climber) you're regarded as a drone. If you don't aspire to become a bean-counter, you'll eventually be a victim of "the system..."

Jamie

I feel ya pain on the many setbacks front and regularly taking 1 step forwards 2/3 back as it was like that for me the first 6 or 7 years or so after my breakdown and happened again a year and a half ago but have recouped back up to where I was again and moving forwards again.

Also feel for ya on the financial front, you'll get there.

They are regularly after people to train up in pathology for sample taking, recording etc and the pay is ok.

my first snake was gifted to me by a friend and so was my 2nd snake from the same friend. She saw my need to have something around me when my husband passed 3 years ago and offered me one of her yearlings to look after as she was having a few personal problems herself at the time and couldn't care for all her animals properly. I wasn't a snake lover to start with until I met this lady when I was 26 and my late husband and myself went over to her house to visit. She actually got out one of her bigger snakes for me to feel and the snake just wrapped it self around me and I was lost. Always try and get to see her when I can now which isn't as often as I would like. The snake she donated to me was a spotted python and was the calmest snake and helped me thru my grief. Later that year my new boyfriend and myself decided to get another snake as she was trying to cull her collection so we got donated to us again the mother of the 1st snake she donated to me. We now also have a woma which we got last year. They are our kids and we love them so much. I guess what I'm trying to say is keep your head up mate. Sometimes there are people out there who will try and help and you never know when they may come along. You will one day when the time is right get your spotted python and it will be the right one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back