Chlorsig eye oitment to treat RI ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloughlin2

Reaction score
After having some shinglebacks come down with symptoms of an early RI infection I called a fairly well known reptile keeper/breeder who told me to use Chlorsig 1% eye oitment with the instructions to apply daily to their eyes until it goes and it usually clears up in a few days. So I've followed those directions and had no results. Based on research it seems the active ingrediant chloramphenical could be used to treat an RI infection however it would need to be administered orally or via IV.

So does anyone have experience either using this - or - a deep understanding of RI and with a chemistry or medical background?

Before the wannabees jump in I will be taking them to a vet, I'm now just curious if I was given a bum steer or not.

Using an antibiotic topically to treat a RI infection would be utterly useless. A lot of RIs resolve with no treatment, just an increase in temps, I suspect this is the only reason your friend has had "success" with chlorsig.

Junglepython2, appreciate your useful input. Let's make it clear he isn't a friend but someone I thought would be reliable enough to trust. Ill get them to a vet for a standard RI treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
And should have taken the animal to a vet in the first case.

I fail to see how an eye ointment can fix a respiratory infection..

Since we are on the topic of RI treatments what about humidifiers and foggers that have f10 or some other antibacterial agent in them, do those methods work because I did try it although I noticed no improvements and then visited a vet.

Antibacterial agents (eg F10) don't necessarily work in vivo. Some antibiotics (eg gentamicin) can work aerosolised and inhaled but usually as part of a treatment regimen in combination with systemic (injectable or oral) treatment.

Please note - this is a general statement. I'm not necessarily advocating this for RI but speaking more theoretically. Specific treatment plans require a medical professional consultation.

Just as a guide for future reference "F10" is an "anti bacterial agent" not an "antibiotic" so should not be used for the treatment of RI's, Gentimicin is best used intravenously, there is another broad spectrum antibiotic that is useful in animals with a low metabolic rate such as Lizards and Snakes and that is Cephradine, it can be given orally or intravenously or as a combination of both, i could see fogging with any agent being contraindicative to any rep with a RI. :).................................Ron

If you google "f10 humidifier RI" I think you will find its not that uncommon
yeah it pretty much how I found it by looking up home method RI treatment, because I feared a large vet bill, noticed it didn't work very well and took him to the vet anyways, turns out it only cost me 47 dollars and it did the job.

yeah it pretty much how I found it by looking up home method RI treatment, because I feared a large vet bill, noticed it didn't work very well and took him to the vet anyways, turns out it only cost me 47 dollars and it did the job.

Yeah it is certainly not a "cure-all" but from what I have read it can be a useful tool to treat some cases :)

Cant beat a good old fashioned witchdoctor .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back