Baby snake won't eat……..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacinta78

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have bought a new baby Stimson python. I was told it has had 2 feeds already. It was fed over a week ago by the breeder and I have been trying to feed her with no luck. I have tried defrosting a pinky in warm water, also just defrosting it to room temp. I have dangled it in front of her, I have left it in her tank…. It has now beed 10 days and I can still not get her to eat.

Can anybody please help and give me any suggestions on what I should do with her please. Also how long can she go without food before i should get worried.

Cheers :)

There seems to be a couple of these starting to pop up, maybe after some of the expos? Not sure...You need to tell us as much as you can about how your little stimmie is being housed.
One general comment I have is that IMO after just 2 feeds the snake really shouldn`t have been sold yet, but maybe that's just me, I certainly wouldn`t sell a hatchy after 2 feeds.

Have to agree with norm. It's probably not an established feeder. A problem which is better sorted by someone with experience. Persistence is key. There's plenty of threads with little tricks and theories for feeding hatchies. Do a search and have a read.

At only 2 feeds it is far from an established hatchling and should not have been offered for sale!

Go back to the so called "breeder" that you got it from and get their help with it as there should be a little bit of after sale back up!

Last edited:
Uh..it should be left completely alone for a week to settle- no handling or feeding at all. If you've only had it ten days...

I have bought hatchies, driven them straight home, held them and then put them on the heat straight away then defrosted their food and fed them that night without issues. This is possible when established feeders are bought from good breeders.

Thank you all. I have my snake in a small container a bit larger than a shoe box. She has a little house at the end where I have the heat mat and water at the other.
I realize now she is not an established Eater :( but was told she would be no trouble. The breeder I got her from is 4 hours from me so it's not so easy to just pop back. Yes I did get her from an expo. Never had trouble with my other snakes. I am not majorly experienced as my other are pets and feed with no trouble. Any help would be awesome please.

I would still be inclined to ring/email the breeder and ask their advice. Also give us some temps for her enclosure, it may just be a bit to cool for her to hit feed mode.

i have called the breeder and i have done everything he advised.
defrost pinky under warm water
defrost pinky on bench to room temp
leave pinky in opening of little hideaway for 1 hour
rub with kangaroo meat
try feeding kangaroo meat.

Do you have anything else?

temp sits around 28deg

i have called the breeder and i have done everything he advised.
defrost pinky under warm water
defrost pinky on bench to room temp
leave pinky in opening of little hideaway for 1 hour
rub with kangaroo meat
try feeding kangaroo meat.

Do you have anything else?

temp sits around 28deg
This is what a breeder has advised? And they were selling at an expo?... I got a feeling I know who it is as we have recently had the same issue with another hatchie Ant that was posted on here.... Get 1/3 of the floor of the click clack to 33deg and no handling for couple weeks... Try feeding every 5 days with a WARM pinkie ( not hot or cold)... If no response then we can re-valuate ... Pm me the breeder if u don't mind as this seems to becoming a common situation

The above is what they suggested, and yes they were at the Melbourne expo last month.
I will get the temp up and keep trying. thank you.

I had a similar issue with my new Albino Darwin, who was an established feeder. Mine was sitting around 28* and I added a heat lamp for a few hours which bumped the temp a bit and when I checked on him he'd scarfed the pinkie rat and curled back up to sleep.

cool, I will get her enclosure temp up and try her again in a few days. Let her settle for a few days first i was thinking as i tried to feed her again today?

Ah yes the stimsons python, a kangaroos greatest predator.

So, have things changed? Are they eating for you yet?

Get some skink faeces and smear on pinkies nose and it will strike straight away, has never failed me as long as temp is correct and click clack is kept darkish and hatchie has hideaway area so it can feel safe. I use a hide only just big enough for them to squeeze into so that way they touch a few sides makes em feel safer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back