Freak accident, now I have an Agressive/stressed snake??? Please help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beautyqueen

Reaction score
I'm after some advise about what to do in this bizarre/freak accident-Sorry longish story.

I am currently pet sitting a female Cape York carpet python, who is 5 years old and about 2m long. She has been in my care for nearly 6 months now as owner is temporarily working over in WA mines and didn't want to get rid of her. She has always been such a placid easy snake and never had an issue handling her. She gets fed a large rat every 10-14 days. Last Sunday 9th March I had her out of her enclosure and then people came to the door so I put her in my spare bedroom (as she hadn't been out long and felt that she needed a stretch before I put her back in her enclosure) But on the Saturday I had been doing some waxing (im a beauty therapist) and had left my hard wax pot. Totally forgetting I had it still on. Well she knocked the pot over and then partly slithered through the wax, so by the time I came back to put her away the wax had set hard on her belly. I got off as much as I could but she was making it very hard for me and becoming quite agitated and un-cooperative. So I had to give up and put her back in her enclosure. There was still about a 10cm oval size amount on her belly but quite thin. I was hoping that by her moving and rubbing her belly along her enclosure the wax would just flake off. I don't believe that she got burnt during this whole process. I feel so horrible and have been stressing ever since.

Anyway since then she has been highly agitated in her enclosure, has all of a sudden become very protective and striking at me whenever I go to do anything in her enclosure. Change water, clean up poo, fix bedding etc. I can't even touch her anymore and I'm too scared about putting my hand in there now to do anything with her. I really want to pick her up and check her belly but I can't.

Any suggestions on what I should do, how do I go about picking her up without getting bitten. Please help me.

have you tryed giving her a warm bath? might help get the wax off!
if you're really worried about getting bitten, get a snake hook and maybe put on some gloves,
but seriously, being bitten doesn't hurt, i wouldn't even worry about it

Lol she is such a big snake, I really don't want to find out whether it will hurt getting bitten or not. If I can manage to pick her up a warm bath is a good idea. I just hope I haven't inflicted any damage to her by my stupid mistake. Her owner has never had any aggression/striking issues so this is very abnormal behaviour.

Might come off with a shed?

I'd still go to a vet and check it out.
There might be damage under the skin.

I know when I got waxed apart from the obvious hair being ripped out pain, the wax could be damn hot sometimes.

Maybe the oil stuff they run on after the wax could get it off?
Not too sure what it would be like on snake skin though...

Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

I'd personally be taking her to a vet! You don't know if she has burns underneath the wax that is still left on her. She might be in some kind of pain hence why she's so agitated. If there are burns you dont want them left untreated. Take her to a vet!

It definitely sounds like the wax is causing her pain or discomfort.

I would agree a vet trip would be best to ensure there is no damage done and they could help with getting any remaining wax off.

Is there someone else in your area who could help you out?

as said above (an i should have at first as well), go to a vet incase there's burns you can't see
definitely better safe than sorry

The site of the injured area really needs to be inspected as if she needs treatment and you leave it too long and infection sets in it can be a long process to get her healthy again, for her temperment to change so quickly she is in distress and it needs to be attended to urgently-if your not comfortable about taking her to a vet or to handle her ask someone for help asap, good luck with her and i hope it works out.

Thanks everyone for the comments, happy to take her to the vet but how do you suggest I get her out of her enclosure without her 1.Biting me 2. Freaking me out, anymore than I already am??? This whole snake thing is totally new to me and I'm not too confident now that she has striked out at me. @ Snake Supplies I notice you are from the Latrobe Valley, Gippsland, I'm located out at Hazelwood North any chance you could give me some help??? Also Vet wise should I consult my normal vet where I take my dogs too???

Last edited:
If you can find a vet with experience in reptiles that would be preferable.

You can try to hook the snake straight into a bag (pillowcase is good) and tie it.

Not sure if it helps or not but even of she did get you it's not nearly as bad as you think!

I'm a good 2 and a bit hours from you, otherwise would help you out myself.

Thanks Rlpreston, what a shame you aren't closer to me. I just rang my normal vet and they wouldn't look at her, said to google reptile vets and ring them, closet one is 2 hours away. Very tough when I work Monday-Friday and this weekend I'm away competing.

if you're really worried about getting bitten, get a snake hook and maybe put on some gloves,
being bitten by a 5 year old carpet would hurt.

Is definitely take her to the vet. I use to do do beauty and I know how hot these wax pots can get. She might have burnt herself and may be in pain, hence the aggressive behaviour.

Id say taking the animal too a vet is more important than competing...its a living creature in pain :/

She is booked in with a snake vet on Friday, so I have to take the whole day off work, So I think that shows how important she is.
The fact that you have taken her in when her owner has left the state shows you care for her :) Not knowing how badly she is injured must be very worrying for you, Friday seems an awfully long time to wait. I also know just how painful a 5 year old Python bite can be lol and it is not to be sneezed at. In this situation I truly recommend hooking her out and putting into a pillow case when the time comes to take her for her appointment. I do think making sure she has clean water on hand is important, she may want to soak for pain relief(just a thought) I wouldn't bother her too much(unless she takes a turn for the worse)as there doesnt seem too much you can do. Good luck with her
Kindest regards
Crystal

If you need to move things around or add large water bowl get a dark towel and hold it up infront of what you have to do and if she strikes it more than likely it will only be the once and she will realise its not going to hurt her and is soft to strike, you can even put the hook under the towel to bring her out, if your not comfy to put here in pillow case - normally if its a dark colour they will naturally go inside and you just need to quickly scoop her up and tie the top or put a rubber band around it then put her in a secure box etc. if you have to travel that far just make sure you label the box with non venomous python etc just incase you have an accident or get pulled over. They will tend to travel better in a pillow case but as long as she is safety secured, a large plastic bin could be an option as you just have to hook her and put her in and lid closed-no touching :)

Someone has never had a feeding bite from something with a large head, even a tag at that size can hurt if they get you good.

Thanks Crystal, all my animals are very loved and cared for. I changed her water just before so its nice and clean, she was well behaved. alert but no striking at me. friday was the earliest i could get in to see tge vet. Im just dreading getting her out on friday morning. i dont own a snake hook and she is a big snake, its hard enough getting her out when she isnt striking and grumpy.

I would think that if there is a serious burn under the wax then the wax may be a good thing until you can get to the vet as it will keep all of the bad stuff out. Maybe make sure that the substrate is paper as well so nothing will get stuck or be rough on her belly. Don't worry about all of the people putting you down as it is all new to you and you are not to know. I think the best way to get her out is have your hands behind a towel and slowly but confidently move in and place it over her then grab her out or as suggested use a hook. Good luck with it all.

Also if you do try to give her a warm bath that warm water to you will be to warm for her as she is cold blooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back