New to snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trdt58

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI,
I have just picked up my first snake ..a murray darling hes about 3 months and currently housed in a click clack.
My first big question ..do you feed him in his housing or place him in another bigger container to feed ..
move him feed him straight away leave him a couple of minutes... from what i read they get stress quickly
in a larger container..and do yo leave him there for a while before you put him back ..
he just shed yesterday and seems a bit grumpy this morning and is due to be fed..
any sound advise would be great..
many thanks tom

great forum...

You'll get some varying opinions here.

I've heard it suggested that if you feed a snake in it's enclosure, it'll have a feeding response when you try to get it out (or become "cage defensive"). One way to deal with a snake that gets defensive of it's enclosure is to get the snake out with a hook (once out it'll settle down). Another is to feed in a different enclosure, but I don't know if that even works that well.

The downside of feeding somewhere else is that you've then got to pick up the snake with a big belly and you risk stressing it enough that it'll regurgitate (you don't want to experience this). Or that you'll just get bitten when you try to pick it up from it's feeding enclosure.

It's a darn-sight easier to just feed in their enclosure, and learn to pick them up with a hook if they get defensive.

You'll get some varying opinions here.

I've heard it suggested that if you feed a snake in it's enclosure, it'll have a feeding response when you try to get it out (or become "cage defensive"). One way to deal with a snake that gets defensive of it's enclosure is to get the snake out with a hook (once out it'll settle down). Another is to feed in a different enclosure, but I don't know if that even works that well.

The downside of feeding somewhere else is that you've then got to pick up the snake with a big belly and you risk stressing it enough that it'll regurgitate (you don't want to experience this). Or that you'll just get bitten when you try to pick it up from it's feeding enclosure.

It's a darn-sight easier to just feed in their enclosure, and learn to pick them up with a hook if they get defensive.

You are right..... the reading i have done gives many different ideas....i do like the feeding in his cage not moving it around after feeding makes sence... no dont like the idea of a regurgitation ..iam trying to do the right thing from the start....i thank you for your input..

I feed my young in there click clacks and wen I upgrade/move them into enclosure I put them into a tub to feed.

Ahh the eternal debate... I'll throw my 2 cents in, I feed in the enclosure and haven't had a problem I don't like the idea of moving my snake after she has fed, in the enclosure she is free to do as she pleases once her food is down. As for them becoming cage defensive I believe it comes down to the individual snake for example a snake fed in a separate tub can still be defensive when you go into the cage.

In the enclosure, Id rather have to use a hook occasionally than be annoying the snake after a meal. :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

HI,
I have just picked up my first snake ..a murray darling hes about 3 months and currently housed in a click clack.
My first big question ..do you feed him in his housing or place him in another bigger container to feed ..
move him feed him straight away leave him a couple of minutes... from what i read they get stress quickly
in a larger container..and do yo leave him there for a while before you put him back ..
he just shed yesterday and seems a bit grumpy this morning and is due to be fed..
any sound advise would be great..
many thanks tom

great forum...
Ok if u search this site u will get various degrees of answers on this 1...but in reality people don't understand certain differences.... I will just quickly state different situations and these r JMI but the opinion of many.
1. There is no need to remove your snake from enclosure
2. Y would u feed a snake then have to move it ( while in food mode )
3. Any cage defensive behaviour is sorted by the use of a hook prior to handling ( this works for various attitudes of different snakes)
4.if your so called CALM snake gets a scent of u getting its dinner ready then it will be all ready in feed mode! ( when u have a collection u get to notice that once u start getting food out of the freezer and defrosting then all the snakes become very active).....even if this is being done on completely the other side of the house.

the motto of this story is that I hear that many people go on about how there PET snake does this and that when in reality they r ( come pet or not ) here to eat and grow and whoooo be told the people that think different

they r wild reptiles so treat them as such...( NO Cuddles ) as I so offen hear ;)

dam I've had a few to many as usual lol........

Pete

Ok if u search this site u will get various degrees of answers on this 1...but in reality people don't understand certain differences.... I will just quickly state different situations and these r JMI but the opinion of many.
1. There is no need to remove your snake from enclosure
2. Y would u feed a snake then have to move it ( while in food mode )
3. Any cage defensive behaviour is sorted by the use of a hook prior to handling ( this works for various attitudes of different snakes)
4.if your so called CALM snake gets a scent of u getting its dinner ready then it will be all ready in feed mode! ( when u have a collection u get to notice that once u start getting food out of the freezer and defrosting then all the snakes become very active).....even if this is being done on completely the other side of the house.

the motto of this story is that I hear that many people go on about how there PET snake does this and that when in reality they r ( come pet or not ) here to eat and grow and whoooo be told the people that think different

they r wild reptiles so treat them as such...( NO Cuddles ) as I so offen hear ;)

dam I've had a few to many as usual lol........

Pete

thanks pete...a few to many.... generally tells the truth....i have read through this forum and there are differences of opinion...like most things in life there are basic rules but the end of the day we are all individuals and all do what we think is correct at the time...i dont like the idea of moving a snake from tub to tub when he eats ..if hes like me... its roll over and have my tummy rubbed..

thanks for all the replies.....will keep reading the opionions ...time for a drink..

tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back