Housing blue tongues together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to AP but not new to blueys. I've had my bluey for a year and a half. Originally he was housed indoors but have moved him outdoors because tank was too big. His new enclosure is huge and could fit another friend or 2. I'm just trying to get some advice on introducing another bluey to his pit. Any advice is greatly appreciated??

G'day mate. I've had an outdoor "pit" set up for quite a while and haven't experienced any issues with multiple animals, plus a shingleback in the pit. We'd also placed a couple of wild caught blueys (saved from dogs and road accidents - and released into local bushland) and still no issues...

Im assuming yours is an eastern bluey, they certainly do house in groups relatively well, i dont do anything special just make sure they are similar size and have plenty of hides to get away from eachother and then monitor them. best case scenario nothing happens and they eat and get fat, they maigh ahave a few scraps and get some bite marks but nothing serious, but there is the chance that some serious damage could happen but it is rare. I have seen broken legs, lost tails even a fractured spine and one really nasty one where a male western had half his bottom jaw bitten off and all this months after introductions, so it happens but its rare and you can take steps to reduce it like keepign them well fed, plenty of hides and plenty of basking positions

I agree with Helikaon.
The only issue you may have in my experience is that boys being boys they will fight for dominance like many other animals/humans. As long as you have plenty of hides and don't excpect your animals to look perfect ( a bit of bark,toes,tails and or feet missing) you will be fine. I have been keeping blueys together in outside enclosures for years and only my males have the odd issue. The fighting can be quite violent but as i said in my first sentence boys will be boys. I have never seen my females clash with each other.

You guys have had better experiences than me, my male is very territorial, when had some young ones he grabbed the one that looked like a male and threw him and kept trying to do that, my female had no issues with the young ones, had to separate them from the pair.

Yes it can be done with same size animals but as has been said, keep an eye on them.
Even the Eastern females I have together in a large pit with plenty of hides on rare occasion bite another one. No serious damage but have had to remove bitten one to an indoor set up to make sure head and tail bites healed without infection.
Some males can be extremely violent. I have a male missing half a limb from a fight only minutes after introduction. I ended up being chomped as well when trying to separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back