Spotted going off her food.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any trouble with snakes going off their food and will only eat it if it is brained or slit in the stomach?? She used to eat really well, no problems at all previous until we moved to Ipswich. Now not only does she go off her food during winter but it is getting harder to get her to even eat. Tonite I tried braining and she got interested but still wouldn't take it so I put a little slit in it's stomach so some blood came out and she took it straight away. Just getting a bit worried about her. It is a Spotted Python about 14yo temps are 32 hot end and bout 28 cool end but it creeps up with the heat of the day to 30 sometimes cool end and maybe 34 hot end if the day is really hot. Any help will be appreciated. The only thing we have changed is where we get the rats from.

It's possible she's stressed, perhaps in a high traffic area, loud noises, etc? Not all snakes handle these stresses as easily as others.

Going off food is 100% normal in Winter. My snakes will begin to slow down within the next one or two months.

At 14 years old, she won't need to eat much at all. Are you feeding her too often and she simply doesn't want to eat?

The cooler nights down here have put all my Stimis off food already

my stimie seems to be go off now too- but records say was same time last year and only dropped about 10grms over 4mths with 1 feed

She has always resided in our lounge room no matter what house we are in, so she is used to us walking past. Last year was the 1st time she ever went off her food in the 3 years we have had her. We try and feed every 10 day for the bigger snakes and every 5 to 7 for the 6 month old. Our other Spotted eats all year round and never turns down a feed and she is 4. When we are trying to get the older one to eat a bit more so when she does go off her food we won't worry. Last feed she had 2 weaner rats and no problem and that was 2 weeks ago. I guess all we can do is see how she goes and keep trying. Last year she went off her food bout April/May so she may do it earlier this year to the weird weather.

If she ate 2 weeks ago then I doubt u need to wry

At 14 years of age, you most certainly do not need to feed her every 10 days. That much food could lead to issues with being overweight. Adult snakes aren't growing much anymore and don't really move, so they don't need nearly as much food.

I feed adult snakes a nice meal everyone 1-2 months. A healthy snake simply doesn't need more.

I'd advise weighing weigh her. Put her in a bag on some kitchen scales, use a bowl if she keeps wriggling off the scales. If you know what she used to weigh, even better. That way, you can see if she's actually losing weight (no weight loss=no worries), and you con monitor it over time. If she loses a little bit of weight over winter, that's just using fat stores and in spring she should put it back on. If she continues to lose weight, that's when you should be concerned.

Chances are she's not eating because she doesn't need to. If she's not growing, not moving, and not laying eggs... then she doesn't need fattening up. If she's not showing any other signs of ill-health, then just keep an eye on it.

I try to weigh my snakes every 3-6 months, especially before and after winter.

If you are trying to feed her every 10 days she simply may not be hungry again especially if she doesn't move around a lot in the mean while. I am now feeding my 3 1/2 year old every month or so now as she wasn't overly keen on the offerings and she is getting a bit podgy to my way of thinking.

She isn't a big snake at all. She is quiet slim for a snake. She hasn't changed in girth or weight that we can see or feel ourselves. We try and get her out 1 to 2 times a fortnight for a bit of exercise on the lawn for bout a half hour or so but she doesn't move much at all apart from when she is outside. Will try and weigh her and see what she is like. Just thinking of her age that is why she is going off her food

My Mac really enjoys climbing more than just being on the grass. If you have a look in my profile albums there are pics of her enclosure and I think of when I put her on the wooden dining chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back