Heat cord inconsistency

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U will always get inconsistent temps if not installed properly

Dangle a heat cord in the air and then test different spots on it for temps, it will heat up all the same. Put it on an on/off thermostat laying down on something and the temps will be all over the place. This is what i have found with them and they seem to work well with a dimming thermostat regardless of installation errors.

Heat mats or flexwatt are also the same, different temps all over it if ran on an on/off thermostat. They are all made to get to a certain temp and stay there, to be set on a timer and ran at 100% power.

Rick

Remember that the first part of the heat cord (usually to the blue mark) doesn't heat up. If it makes up a row on one side it could be the reason for differing temps.

Oh dear,
I look like a tosser!
I wrote that at work on my phone and was trying not to get caught so I didn't read it properly
Obviously my cut and pastes didn't work.
Should look more like this:

'd like to see (if you decide to go for another thermostat) how much things change in your enclosure and whether your "inconsistency'' disappears, and that the heat cord has a constant temperature throughout the cable, providing the only thing you change is the thermostat - regarding the comment about the cheap ebay thermostats you buy for under $15 as they are both the same on and off principal... and that I cannot see how a $10 Chinese thermostat, could be better than a $75 Australian made thermostat.

Dimming and pulse proportional thermostats do provide a more constant temperature, though that's not the problem in the question posted, the question I think is why the heat isn't a constant temp through the heat cord. Just saying what to buy does not give him the right answer, it's best to teach people why.

You say you have measure the temp all around with various thermometers.
Are they quality thermometers? Are they accurate?- regarding the different readings he's getting.

I fail to see how the thermostat, changes the heat cord temp. was meant to be cut and pasted to the top paragraph.

the inconsistency of temps is what I'm trying to fix, I'm using reptile one thermometers, for example I put one probe under the hide (temps would probably be higher) and another next to it outside the hide, the temp outside reads 28 and the temp in the hide 32-33, with the heat gun I get any where from 30 - 37, I checked on the snake he was 34 give or take, I closely monitor the temps so he's not at risk.

In regards to where the heat cord starts to heat up, there is no blue mark, it feels like it heats up from the beginning of the actual heat cord, I've tried tiles now too, doesn't make much of a difference, the habistat dimmers won't work by the looks of it as they're min 40w (heat cord 25w)
Appreciate the suggestions and help thanks all.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Remember that the first part of the heat cord (usually to the blue mark) doesn't heat up. If it makes up a row on one side it could be the reason for differing temps.

I should mention too, if the first row is not heating properly, it shouldn't be to much of an issue as the click isn't sitting over it just on the edge which makes up the 1/3 if that makes sense.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

it will probably always be higher in the hide and on top because it will retain the heat inside and the heat will escape through the top.

the temps seem fine to me.

In the hide- 32.5C
Outside the hide- 28C

Heat gun readings, well... I dunno.

Remember your snake will chose where it want's to be, if you find him in your water bowl or trying to get out of the heat too much, it's probably too warm, if he stays in the warm side too much, its probably too cold.

it will probably always be higher in the hide and on top because it will retain the heat inside and the heat will escape through the top.

the temps seem fine to me.

In the hide- 32.5C
Outside the hide- 28C

Heat gun readings, well... I dunno.

Remember your snake will chose where it want's to be, if you find him in your water bowl or trying to get out of the heat too much, it's probably too warm, if he stays in the warm side too much, its probably too cold.

What about both probes in the hide, one reading 30.1 one reading 33

I'd either chose one...
or if you wanna go in between the two temps and average it out??

I prefer the sticky type thermometers, rather than the digital with the probe for accuracy.

Oh dear,
I look like a tosser!
I wrote that at work on my phone and was trying not to get caught so I didn't read it properly
Obviously my cut and pastes didn't work.
Should look more like this:

'd like to see (if you decide to go for another thermostat) how much things change in your enclosure and whether your "inconsistency'' disappears, and that the heat cord has a constant temperature throughout the cable, providing the only thing you change is the thermostat - regarding the comment about the cheap ebay thermostats you buy for under $15 as they are both the same on and off principal... and that I cannot see how a $10 Chinese thermostat, could be better than a $75 Australian made thermostat.

Dimming and pulse proportional thermostats do provide a more constant temperature, though that's not the problem in the question posted, the question I think is why the heat isn't a constant temp through the heat cord. Just saying what to buy does not give him the right answer, it's best to teach people why.

You say you have measure the temp all around with various thermometers.
Are they quality thermometers? Are they accurate?- regarding the different readings he's getting.

I fail to see how the thermostat, changes the heat cord temp. was meant to be cut and pasted to the top paragraph.

I get acceptable temps from "cheap Ebay thermostats", if the probe positioning is not the fault (which is what I first suggested) then I suggest the OP invest in a new thermostat.

To the Op, just because the thermostat work before does not man it may not be faulty now.

try putting a tile over the heat cord, it will spread the heat from the cord more evenly resulting in more even temps across the surface. As others have said, put the thermostat inside the tub as that's the critical area you are monitoring

try putting a tile over the heat cord, it will spread the heat from the cord more evenly resulting in more even temps across the surface. As others have said, put the thermostat inside the tub as that's the critical area you are monitoring

Thanks for the input, but I already mentioned trying tiles, and the thermostat is not suitable to be put in the click clack, just waiting for a different one. Thanks mate

Just be aware the distance between cord lay out is critical in the temp u require... Bunch it all in your hand for 2 mins and check with temp gun ... Bet ya get 60++++ deg....

The main reason the heatcord is not heating to desired temps across it's length is due to the on/off thermostat.
As others have already said, the current still needs to travel the length of the cord for a short time before it will read a consistent temp along it's length.
This is also affected by the thermostat probe location. e.g. If the probe is near the start of the cord, the temps will reach it's cut off before the end of the cord gets to the same temp.
I would suggest putting the probe closer to the end of the cord length, or alternatively by using a pulsing or preferably dimming thermostat, you will get a better consistency.

Also regarding the temp gun readings, you're getting surface temps. So depending on where the cord is in relation to where you're pointing the gun, the temps will vary and sometimes considerably.
If taking temps with the gun, I'd suggest to put a mark in the tub with pen or similar, and always take your readings from the same spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back