Snake rubbing skin/head on everything?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Banned
Reaction score
I purchased a Coastal Carpet Python the other day and have just attempted handling her today. I noticed she is rubbing her head/skin on me rapidly, and seems to also do the same on her substrate while she's in her enclosure... does anyone know what this is?

I googled around and read that's what they do when they're about to shed? But just wanting to confirm, incase something is wrong with her...

Any help is appreciated!

Sounds like she's coming up to a slough and she's trying to get it started.
Make sure she has something solid in her enclosure to rub against and she'll have some new pants to show you soon.

If she's still doing it in a couple of days, check her for mites.
They can get in and around her eyes and heat pits making her uncomfortable and this is why she's rubbing quite a bit.

she'll have some new pants to show you soon.
Haha!! Love it!!!

Thanks, hopefully it is her just shedding :) She is dulling in color, so i'll assume so. How long does it take for them to fully shed usually? Only owned lizards before, not snakes, so still learning :)

They turn opaque for about a week, or so. Then they clear up, then they shed a few days later. Try and avoid handling her during the opaque period though as they can be nippy, and you don't want to disrupt them or hurt them or anything. To actually do the act of shedding.. That just depends. Some or done in 15 minutes, others can take longer. Depends on alot of factors. A healthy shed should be in 1 piece only. A shed that comes off in little bits and pieces can indicate another problem.

I usually put a good sized water bowl in for them to have a bit of a soak when they're due for a shed, I find that it helps with shedding cleanly in one piece...

Just put a rough rick in and place water bowl nearer the warm end

Just put a rough rick in and place water bowl nearer the warm end
I've got a rock in there for her to rub on if she needs to, and I am using a dog food dish as a water bowl at the moment. :) I'm excited to see her shed.

shes just trying to shed by the looks of it i find that if i spray some water in the enclosure its help the skin to soften up and release it easyier and you would want more stable rough surfaces in the that it can rub its old skin off

shes just trying to shed by the looks of it i find that if i spray some water in the enclosure its help the skin to soften up and release it easyier and you would want more stable rough surfaces in the that it can rub its old skin off
Another question, is it normal for her underside to stick to my skin? It seems every time she is exploring me her skin seems to rub and slightly pull.. kind of like it's sticky (But it's not), sort of like if you were to rub silicone on a table or something.. very hard to explain, but just wondering if thats normal??

- - - Updated - - -

Update: She seems to be fine on clothing, and doesnt stick to that.. or anything else.. just my skin.. Confusing!

Update: She seems to be fine on clothing, and doesnt stick to that.. or anything else.. just my skin.. Confusing!

Quite normal. My better half notices it more when she has used hand cream or body lotion.

Quite normal. My better half notices it more when she has used hand cream or body lotion.
I've sprayed her with the Aristopet Shedding mist, so that could be it... hmm.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I have given her a bath in warm water, she really did not like me after that, and tried to constrict my neck... no problems though. I'll just let her relax a bit, it must have stressed her out a lot, but it needed to be done. Also, she is no longer sticking :) Thanks for all the help. I'll now have to earn her trust back.

Another question, is it normal for her underside to stick to my skin? It seems every time she is exploring me her skin seems to rub and slightly pull.. kind of like it's sticky (But it's not), sort of like if you were to rub silicone on a table or something.. very hard to explain, but just wondering if thats normal??

- - - Updated - - -

Yes this is normal becuase snaked have scales and their larger one are at the under side of their body hence the fact that they need to protect themselves when they are moving so for it to like kind of catch or such is normal happens with all snakes :) hope the mist help and make sure that the enclosure is at a nice temp so that the humid level could rise when shedding the soft their skin the better allows more flexability on the shedded skin

I think shedding or not you need to just leave it to do its thing, I know it's your first and you want everything to go well but I think lay off the shedding sprays and baths. Just make sure it has fresh water and maybe give it a mist with WATER every few days.

I think shedding or not you need to just leave it to do its thing

This. If the environment is correct then everything else will fall into place as it should, and warm baths/shedding mists are totally unnecessary. Just enjoy observing your animals do their thing.

Learnt that now. Just used to using the shedding mist on my gecko as he has problem shedding with his injuries/scars. Gave her a bath to get the shedding most off as I figured that was what was making her stick.. Will stick to only using it on Apollo now. I'll let her do her think and won't handle her for a while :) thanks for all the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also be aware that what is 'warm' to you, is HOT to your python. This may be why she didn't want to go in.

I did try to consider that an made it somewhere between medium to lukewarm. Maybe that's why... Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back