Carpet python breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyewall

Reaction score
Hi all, I am keen to start breeding my carpets, when you do start introducing and dropping the temps and to what degrees.
All replies would help
thanks

Try getting yourself a copy of Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons or The Complete Carpet Python. It will have all the answers you need plus more

I have the book I just want to know when to start lowering the temps

As above. You could actually breed them at any time but it obviously easier to drop temps with the season.

I do not breed but I do brumate my snakes over winter and I do not heat overnight at all once a snake is over 12 months old. I heat on a timer only but make sure my hot spot is at least 32 and give them 12 hours of heat until the start of April where I reduce the time by 1 hour a week until I get down to 8 hours. I stop feeding them at the end of this month and start increasing the heat at the start of July and then feed at the start of August. My overnight temperatures do not drop below 12 degrees in my enclosures overnight either.
On another note I have heard of breeders breeding anytime of year by controlling the photo period and temperature which makes sense.

I have the book I just want to know when to start lowering the temps

If you have the book "Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons" you have the information you are seeking here and bucketloads more....This book is worth 3 times what you pay for it if you intend breeding any Australian Python.

You have not mentioned which 'Carpet' you are trying to cool, but page 281 provides a great yearly program in a table format for breeding Coastal Carpets. The cooling months, temps for both male & female for each month of the year, introduction, mating & egg laying times are all shown clearly in this table.

Flick your copy open to page 281 and you will have a very good starting point - read the pages around it and you will be provided a very sound basis for moving forward with what you want to do.

To be honest I didn't drop the temperature or take the male in and out of my females tank and they still bred and I didn't even see them mate hahaa got a clutch of 12 : D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people don't realise that with cooling you still provide daytime heat. Just less hours of it. I keep SWCP which are probably the coldest Aussie pythons to breed. They occur right down the bottom of WA.
I give them 33 degrees daytime temp every day. Only the amount of time that they get that is reduced to 8 hours in the middle of winder. Night time temps get as low as 14 degrees in my reptile room over winter.

All that is needed to trigger brumation and sperm production in males come spring is cool long nights.

Just because ambient temps in winter don't get to 30 degress doesn't mean that objects (including basking snake) in direct sun will have any trouble getting to high 20's low 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back