Friend with no license, has reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Banned
Reaction score
A close friend of mine has multiple native reptiles and is wanting to sell me a blue tongue, but he does not have his license.

I'm interested in the blue tongue, but am confused as to how this is going to work if I have a license and he doesn't? Could he sign for a license if he already has reptiles and then legally sell it to me, or is that impossible? Would he get his reptiles taken off him? it got me curious as to how having reptiles on no license works, and am now wondering how many people keep reptiles on no license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In QLD if he has 'illegal' native animals in captivity it would be a big risk to your own licence to acquire 'wild caught' animals

In QLD if he has 'illegal' native animals in captivity it would be a big risk to your own licence to acquire 'wild caught' animals
But if he were to apply for a license, what would the process be? I'm pretty sure all his are bought from another non-licensed person.

You can not legally put off license reptiles onto a license and is therefore illegal to sell them to another licensed person.

From what I have read on here about others' experiences it is quite difficult to add current reptiles onto a new license as they will be viewed as 'wild caught' and may be confiscated if it cannot be proved otherwise. Personally I would stick to buying from licensed persons only as you can be assured that they will not be taken off you due to lack of evidence of purchase.

^^ There you go, I was beaten to it.

He won't have any details from the animals he has currently to use in his record book or EPA records,the only animals that will legally exist, after he gets a licence, will be ones bought from a licenced seller.
My 5 cents, RUN away from this deal,

He won't have any details from the animals he has currently to use in his record book or EPA records,the only animals that will legally exist, after he gets a licence, will be ones bought from a licenced seller.
My 5 cents, RUN away from this deal,

Yeah, defs wont be accepting if I have to risk it. Will just buy one fro a pet store. Thanks guys :)

Yeah, defs wont be accepting if I have to risk it. Will just buy one fro a pet store. Thanks guys :)
Whilst the pet shop isn't the worst option I think that you would find a local breeder down the Gold Coast that can provide a good animal and all of the information required to keep it and be able to follow up with after sale information.

Whilst the pet shop isn't the worst option I think that you would find a local breeder down the Gold Coast that can provide a good animal and all of the information required to keep it and be able to follow up with after sale information.

Actually thats a good idea, I'll look around and see what I can find :) Thanks again!

I wonder what happens to 'confiscated' animals...

Can't vouch for Qld, but in NSW if they are deemed healthy they are usually put up for ballot by NPWS. Ballots can operate in several ways ranging from invites to participate to licensed persons in the area, to the animal being offered for ballot organised by a local Herpetology Club.

The animal is then able to be put on licence with special conditions that it is never to be sold - it must be surrendered to NPWS if you can no longer keep it and they re-home it again via another ballot. You effectively become a legal 'custodian' of the reptile for the rest of its life as long as you are prepared to keep it.

In QLD lots of 'confiscated' animals are now handed to shelters, like the RSPCA, who have a license to adopt them out to new families.

I "won" a ballot from NPWS last year for a Spotted. I located it behind a shop and, not since it wasn't native to our area, I contacted NPWS to see what should be done. They said a ballot would take place and that I could then submit my interest in it. As it turns out, I was awarded it. The only restriction was that I was to have ownership for a minimum of six months. After that, it could be bought and sold as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back