First Python - Finally made the switch! Help with ID? Darwin x Jungle Het

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayyskii

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Name's Jay, Long time lurker first time posting.

So decided to shut down my cichlid tanks, sell my colonies and make the plunge over to the Herp side!
Since i was a kid i've always had a couple of dragons or two, Old man had pythons, but decided to get a python for myself, with the aim at getting another 10-20 after getting used to them & the care they need (Very different to African & American fish! that's for sure)

So i purchased my first yearling female, She was advertised as a 100% Het Darwin X Jungle
However i seem to think she may have coastal in her!

Just wondering if anyone could Confirm what she is based of my dodgy iphone picture below.
& Guys/Girls i know some people frown upon cross breeding, however i picked her for her temperament she sure is inquisitive! and i personally think she looks amazing so let's save those discussions for a different thread/later date(Which at the end of the day is what matters right, how i feel as she's my snake?)

Looking forward to feedback & your opinions.

Cheers,

Jay :lol:

Attachments

• Marley.jpg
    Marley.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 223
  • marley2.jpg
    marley2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 217
Going to go with what the seller said then, and her patterns on her head are similar to that of a skull & crossbones :)
Thanks Josh.

Last edited:
Yup researched that which is what's making me go with Darwin X Jungle, Which is what the Seller said, but that's what it was sold to him as. Thank you for your help!

How comes you guys can keep and breed foreign species of fish but not snakes? Surely snake keepers in Australia can do more damage to your local snake populations should species outside of their range escape and start to cross breed with the local ones than would be caused by escaped exotics?

Snakes73, although crossed, they are still a native and will have the same prey and predators.
Unlike the introduction of cane toads for example, that have no predators and kill our natives.

How comes you guys can keep and breed foreign species of fish but not snakes? Surely snake keepers in Australia can do more damage to your local snake populations should species outside of their range escape and start to cross breed with the local ones than would be caused by escaped exotics?

Foreign fish ie; Cichlids can't survive in Australia water ways, well excluding Hazlewood Pondage (google it, red devils thriving in power station lake) Due to temperature and water difference, but Imported Snakes would thrive in our wild, Correct me if i'm wrong but i've heard Corn snakes have been found in the Watagan mountains?

Foreign fish ie; Cichlids can't survive in Australia water ways, well excluding Hazlewood Pondage (google it, red devils thriving in power station lake) Due to temperature and water difference, but Imported Snakes would thrive in our wild, Correct me if i'm wrong but i've heard Corn snakes have been found in the Watagan mountains?

They're generally found anywhere that bogans live :p

Foreign fish ie; Cichlids can't survive in Australia water ways, well excluding Hazlewood Pondage (google it, red devils thriving in power station lake) Due to temperature and water difference

Nope. Googlie it, Tilapia.

Um, carp... One of the biggest scourges of Australian waterways. Not native. I suspect there are quite a few other exotics which would flourish in our lakes and rivers, too.

Mosquito fish is another, there are plenty of sp of foreign fish that have been released by fish keepers, kids etc that have thrived and taken over plenty of waterways.

My wife and her fellow co-workers have done plenty of fish kills to kill such sp as those already mentioned, Tilapia being the main one they are aimed at.

Tilapia are mouth brooders that fisherman and keepers have helped spread, when fishermen catch them and use them for bait, the head ends up back in the water which then helps spread the eggs out the mouth.
If left on the banks the buggers can survive for ages out of water and have a chance of making their way back down the bank into the water, best off taking them with you to a bin if you catch any.

Back on subject, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
lucky its too cold for them to survive down here, we already have huge problems with European Carp throughout the river system.

There is massive colonies of tilapia through QLD as well as other smaller africans.
The snake is nice but as somebody said once the carpets cross its pretty difficult to say what the parents were for sure, but if the seller was told by the breeder them I would just trust their word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back