Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Banned
Reaction score
Mine did this morning for the first time (and hopefully last) at about 4am. I was fast asleep and woke up out of instinct I guess, then heard a noise and went over to inspect to find Amity was 3/4 through a hole in the wall. I grabbed her tail and tried to slow her moving down while I tried to break the wall open to get her. By the time I was just hanging on to the end of her tail I felt her let go of whatever she was holding onto inside there and pulled her through.

Very lucky for me to get her back, especially with no injuries.. There would have probably been near no chance of getting her out of there... She must have pushed open her glass doors while I was asleep. Looks like i'm fixing the locks and the wall today...

Have your snakes ever escaped and been lost? Where did you find them?

My spotted python, Indie, got out of her upgraded click clack when she was about four months old. She pushed through the tiniest gap between the lid and the sides; I tried afterwards to force it open and could barely move it, so I'm kind of impressed that she not only pushed it up but managed to squeeze her body through the tiny gap. She was out overnight, possibly for almost a full day, before I realised- and it wasn't by opening up her enclosure and realising she was missing. I opened my cupboard in my bedroom to get something out and had her fall onto me from one of the top shelves (again, no idea how she managed to do that; freaky little critter). I screamed and automatically jumped and she ended up slipping off me onto the ground. There was a pause of about ten seconds when I thought there was a baby wild python in my room, then I realised it was my baby python. She was one very grumpy baby as well, having been hanging out in what she thought was a nice warm spot in a cold room, only to then drop six down onto a concrete floor. She was demoted back to her little Sistema click clack and I still can't believe how lucky I was to get her back; if she hadn't dropped on me, I wouldn't have noticed she was missing for at least a couple more days as I was leaving her alone to let her adjust to the more roomy quarters. I also have two kelpies that spend most of the day in my room, and the younger one would have chomped her in half if he'd found her- and then probably brought her body to me with a "Look at the toy I found! Play?" request. I'm now absolutely paranoid about her escaping, and the two other times I've moved her up into bigger enclosures, for the first couple of nights I don't sleep at all :p It was made even worse by the fact that the next time I upgraded her from the Sistema a couple of months later, I had baby chickens living in my room as well, and even though they probably would have had more of a go at her than she would have been able to them, it was a bit nerve wracking. Indie doesn't help the paranoia by spending the first few hours in a new enclosure doing laps of the perimeter and trying to push her way against every possible point of exit; even in her tank now she regularly tries to squeeze out through the tiny gauge mesh in the lid, even though she can't get even the tip of her nose through it now she's a bit bigger.

Indie doesn't help the paranoia by spending the first few hours in a new enclosure doing laps of the perimeter and trying to push her way against every possible point of exit; even in her tank now she regularly tries to squeeze out through the tiny gauge mesh in the lid, even though she can't get even the tip of her nose through it now she's a bit bigger.

I was exactly the same all this morning. Did not have sleep after that happened at all, and stayed up all night watching her trying to find an exit of the sistema tub I put her in while I fixed her enclosure up. I think I finally fell asleep 3 hours after for about an hour and a half.. now im super paranoid!!!

I had my woma in the bathroom to just have abit of a stretch and slither then she somehow got past me(I think I had a seizure) and under the door even though there was a towel tucked In tightly on both sides. When I realised I freaked and went and locked all my birds up(they useually have free run of the house) and moved my guineapig up higher(even though she is probably too big to eat) then went looking for her. I found her in my dad's room woven through his thongs then tucked up in his ugg boot(she loves them)

When I was about 14 my dad forgot he had our diamond python Bundy out on the back lawn and Bundy went missing, we put out notices to people in the houses around us to call and about 2 weeks later I was in the yard cleaning out my budgies cage and I turned around to Bundy standing his head off the ground.
i finally caught him while he was flailing about and got him back into his cage.

I was fast asleep and woke up out of instinct I guess

Ah, that well documented human instinct that warns one when a snake is escaping from its enclosure, an important evolutionary benefit. ;)

How old is your snake? If it's housed in a standard reptile enclosure it's highly unlikely that it slid the glass open itself. Even full grown olives don't manage that (I think). If it's a smaller snake it probably escaped through an opening somewhere in the enclosure. Or the glass wasn't full slid closed. Keeper error is often the reason snakes go missing. Look over your enclosure carefully and see whether there's anywhere it could get through, ideally a (properly built and designed) snake enclosure is not escapable. Not having a go, just hoping it doesn't happen again. Glad you got it back!

Ah, that well documented human instinct that warns one when a snake is escaping from its enclosure, an important evolutionary benefit. ;)

How old is your snake? If it's housed in a standard reptile enclosure it's highly unlikely that it slid the glass open itself. Even full grown olives don't manage that (I think). If it's a smaller snake it probably escaped through an opening somewhere in the enclosure. Or the glass wasn't full slid closed. Keeper error is often the reason snakes go missing. Look over your enclosure carefully and see whether there's anywhere it could get through, ideally a (properly built and designed) snake enclosure is not escapable. Not having a go, just hoping it doesn't happen again. Glad you got it back!

Thats what confused me, she's only just turned a year old. There are literally no other ways, and the doors were open when I checked, so it was the only way. I have a chrod going through one of the glass doors for the thermostat though, and forgot to lock the door, so she must have wedges herself at the small opening where the chord was going in and opened it. it was completely my fault for not locking it. It is a really well built, sturdy enclosure.. but I still didnt think she'd be strong enough to pull that... it's definitely how she got out, though.

My mate did not lock my exo terra after trying to scare his father with my stimson.
He closed the glass doors and though it locked it self[ stuipid idoit].
I did not noticed until about 24 hrs later.
I checked my reptile room then the rest of the house, fridge, oven, lounges any spot that it could hide i thought it must of got out the window looked around the unit block nothing this was around june.
Then in january i was in the kitchen getting the garbage and heard something move in the laundry i turned on the light and he was sitting in the sink most likely looking for water.He had grown in lenght but looked skinny.He smashed the food for about a month.

My mate did not lock my exo terra after trying to scare his father with my stimson.
He closed the glass doors and though it locked it self[ stuipid idoit].
I did not noticed until about 24 hrs later.
I checked my reptile room then the rest of the house, fridge, oven, lounges any spot that it could hide i thought it must of got out the window looked around the unit block nothing this was around june.
Then in january i was in the kitchen getting the garbage and heard something move in the laundry i turned on the light and he was sitting in the sink most likely looking for water.He had grown in lenght but looked skinny.He smashed the food for about a month.

Wow, how long was he missing for? I'm surprised how lucky everyone is finding their snakes.. amazing!

My yearling coastal was let out by my 20mth old who climbed enclosures to open the door 12 an inch to look at her. It wasnt till I got home from work to feed them that we noticed. I looked outside under bins plants and all through the downstairs of the house toy rooms and laundtlry. And under the machine. Taught my dog to growl and sit beside them when ive got them in the yard. She started barking two nights ago and she was barking at the back door. Turned the light on and thought colourwise from the distance. Went to kove the dog. And whammy it was my anna whos head was coming out from under the laundry door. She wss in there for 3 weeks.

Wow, how long was he missing for? I'm surprised how lucky everyone is finding their snakes.. amazing!
7 months on the the run. I think he was hiding in the washing machine.I was lucky cause he is a fuzzy eater and sometimes does not eat much so glad he was able to go so long without food

Rolled over in bed onto a diamond that had escaped from the back shed. Luckily it only bit my arm...could have been far more painful, and embarrassing.

My partner accidentally left my hatchy jungle's clickclack open one night! luckily she was found in a bag of junk due to be thrown out that was right next where she lives. funnily we have a 5cm gap under our front door that was less than a metre away, she could of easily escaped, oh and my cat was inside. could of ended badly for her/us.

Mine is still AWOL and I have moved towns so I would say I am never going to see her again :cry: My Daughter did not clip the lid closed properly and I was stupid enough not to check. My Coastal Boy was forgotten about recently, I was cleaning enclosures and I always let him loose in my office/snake room whilst I am doing his. He climbs up over the door frame and curtain rods etc, I went out to clean his water dish and got side tracked. A few hours later I remembered him and ran into the snake room, he was gone I looked every-where, he is a big 3 year old and hard to lose. All the doors were open, I was a blubbering mess by this stage. I went into the snake room to grab a spare heat pad, I glimpsed into his enclosure and there his Highness is curled up in his hide. In my defence I work 6 days a week and get rather tired plus I am sure I have the onset of Dementia(thats my excuse lol)

Last edited:
7 months on the the run. I think he was hiding in the washing machine.I was lucky cause he is a fuzzy eater and sometimes does not eat much so glad he was able to go so long without food

:eek: OMG. That's a pure miracle!

My 8 year old male diamond got out of his enclosure in the garage (long story) he crawled up under my Mrs XR5 Focus (she hadn't worked out HSV's are better) she drove 5km to work, then he decided to crawl out from underneath the car, luckily he was spotted by a work mate, the Mrs wrangled him up and brought him home. He was no worse for the ideal. Me? I was a wreck lol

We've had four occasions of escapees, one of them on two occasions. The first time was our Darwin python, who had always been a feisty individual at that time. He had somehow squeezed out of his click clack where the temp probe cord was. Turned the family room and kitchen upside down, was about to move the fridge when we spotted a stack of photo boxes in the corner we had been sorting. There he was, curled up in the bottom box.
Second time, our very placid MD somehow got out of his click clack by moving his pole and getting out through the hole the pole sat in. And only to get into his hide that was sitting outside his click clack from when we cleaned him. He did it again when we bought two taller click clacks of a different brand, and he managed to slip out the smallest of cracks at the edge of the lid. Was found slithering along the floor.
Third time was our full-grown jungle. While away in Melbourne at the VHS expo, she had lain across the cord from the CHE, and it had pulled out the plastic fitting in the back of the enclosure. She was also found in a box across the room. Have since cable clipped the cord to the roof of the enclosure.
@Focus Yes they can open glass doors. We probably are guilty of complacency by not fitting locks to all of the sliding glass doors, but have never had a snake even look like pushing the glass open. Until last night. This morning one of our Gammons was on top of the floor lampshade in the lounge room; he had made it from his enclosure (opening the glass door) in an adjacent room, to the lampshade. This Gammon Ranges python is just over a year old.
So yes, they do escape. Most times they don't go far.

I lost my jungle 6months + back and at the time she was just a hatchie and oh so tiny.
Turned out that one of the clips on the top of her enclosure was broken. She was missing for about a week. Turned the whole house upside down and pretty much gave up hope. Went to work one morning, a week later and drew the curtains so I could walk out my glass sliding door and as I pulled the curtains aside and walked out the door my jungle fell on my head. It was the best shock of my life.

iv had a woma escape , at the time my youngest niece and her small dog was staying at my house . I went and watched tv in my room , then at about 10.30pm I hear her dog barking in the lounge room . so I went out to see what was going on , only to find that the dog was backed up into a corner and there was one of my womas striking at it like a cobra . I stared at it for what seemed to be an hour [ I bet it was 2 secs] then I quickly grabbed a pillow to put in between the woma and the dog so I wouldn't get a bite from either . everything turned out fine , neither one was hurt . im just glad it wasn't one of my big coastals otherwise I think the dog would have been killed .

I had my jungle jag go missing at Christmas after I left the tub open slightly a jar , after looking high and low I could not find it , about 2 weeks a of I had my next door neighbours knock on my door asking if I knew of anyone who keep snakes , I said I do then he asked if I was missing one and yes I was , I showed him a pic of mine , he said yeah it looks like that and it had eaten my female cannery , I went over and sure enough the was my snake with a belly full , it was the most expense feed any of my snakes have ever had , but at least it only cost me $50 to get my snake back .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back