How to tell if a captive bread reptile is inbred?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkir7979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
How to tell if a captive bred reptile is inbred?

Hi guys,
Conclusions can be drawn that captive bred animals being sold are... well inbred.
Is there a way to tell a inbred animal from a non-inbred? (particularly in frogs and dragons)

cheers

Last edited:
no. not until 10+generations of inbreeding when they start being born deformed.

Strange, On the first hand your saying you notice a lot of inbred critters and then on the other hand your asking how to tell if they are. Which is it?

When will people learn that reptiles are not mammals or birds?
They exist in areas where they often inbreed and it doesn't appear to have any problems that we see with other types of animals inbreeding. Look at the island populations of tiger snakes and pythons. Even many lizards are confined to single granite outcrops...

no. not until 10+generations of inbreeding when they start being born deformed.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Inbreeding increases the chances of recessive genes causing defects but this only happens if genetic defects are already in the line.

Look at rough scaled pythons they have being bred for a few generations now without defects and deformities. Not bad considering they originate from few individuals.

A lot of breeders work on the same lines for years without problems.

just using my experience with rodents. bother to sister is different from son to mother, as son to mother still introduces new genes.

Well maybe it just hasn't gotten to the point where we can notice? If you think about it, if you are a breeder you dont go out and buy a new snake/python/lizard/frog/turtle from a different gene pool to breed now do you? (unlike cats and dogs). Also, isnt the product of dragons with less variation of colour in their skin a result of interbreeding when compared to the variation in wild dragon colour

- - - Updated - - -

Also essentially all of America's dragons could somehow be inbred as select individuals were imported and are commercially bred

I've been reading these replies and am still no closer to finding out what a bread reptile is.

Many reptile keepers prize their locale specific stock for the exact reason that they haven't had outside influences in the gene pool.
Wheatbelt stimi's from the same outcrop, womas from the same area etc... I keep a few locale specific SWCP and its very cool to know that they are in the natural form for that area. I also breed them locale specific too.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been reading these replies and am still no closer to finding out what a bread reptile is.
You must not have been following the thread about basting your pythons with vegetable oil..

Many reptile keepers prize their locale specific stock for the exact reason that they haven't had outside influences in the gene pool.
Wheatbelt stimi's from the same outcrop, womas from the same area etc... I keep a few locale specific SWCP and its very cool to know that they are in the natural form for that area. I also breed them locale specific too.

- - - Updated - - -

You must not have been following the thread about basting your pythons with vegetable oil..

Do you notice any difference in the behaviour and somewhat intelligence of the two?

Reptiles do no suffer the effects of inbreeding like most mammal.

just using my experience with rodents. bother to sister is different from son to mother, as son to mother still introduces new genes.

What rodents are you having to add new blood to? Labs rats will show no issues at all after many generations of inbreeding, rodents are a lot different in this respect to other mammals.

Rick

Do you notice any difference in the behaviour and somewhat intelligence of the two?

None at all. The only difference I have ever noted is wild caught vs captive bred. I find recently wild caught animals are faster and far more alert than their captive bred counterparts. I had a pair of wild caught that were 7 years in captivity. They acted the same as any other captive bred, mixed local or pure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inbreeding is only a real concern in domesticated animals, where traits not necessary for survival have been selectively bred for across many generations, and recessive genes are more likely to occur. It's an issue in humans because natural selection doesn't apply. But for reptiles and amphibians, it is not much of an issue, yet.

Reptiles do no suffer the effects of inbreeding like most mammal.

What rodents are you having to add new blood to? Labs rats will show no issues at all after many generations of inbreeding, rodents are a lot different in this respect to other mammals.

Rick
I have about 100 rats which provides enough genetic diversity

I don't think the aus reptile keeping / breeding has been going on long enough to the extent of extreme inbreeding.

You could try handing them a banjo and see if they know how to play it?

Post of the year right here!

Anyways, what conclusions can be drawn? Certainly not the ones you're thinking of. As others have said, reptiles are not mammals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back