hello, i am still very new at this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ladydj890

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have just joined today, I've had my bubba jungle hatchie Whiskey for about 9 days and he hasnt fed for me yet... is it due to being unsettled? or is it something more serious? My month old jungle python hatchie wont eat? ive tried all different times of the day... ive tried both pinkie rats and pinkie mice because ive read that jungle pythons sometimes wont eat rats? its been 11 days since hes eaten and im starting to freak out, they breeder i purchased him from said he was a pig to feed before i got him... and i havent had him long at all about a week?? what do i do, even if i leave his food in there he will suss it out than just go hide again?? Please help me, I dont want to have to try force feed him.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if anyone would like to friend me on here so I can get all the advice I need :) would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
there are a lot of factors that will unsettle a new hatchie , new environment (is it in the same size tub/tank that the breeder had it in , are the temps right ,what was the breeder feed it , frozen thawed or fresh killed or maybe even live ???? , would be best if you can chat to the breeder and get all the info first on how they had it set up and hopefully that will help .don't worry it is quiet common for hatchies to go off their food for their new owners for a few weeks , just make sure you give it a few days between each time you try to feed it

its in a slightly bigger tub than i recieved him in. temp in his heat end is 30degrees and the cooler end is just room temp(minus aircon and i have the fan on low..) is this wrong.
the breeder had fed thawed pinkie mice, and one pinkie rat on his last feed.
I think he may be starting to shed... so I just open his tub to change the water daily and other than that i am giving him space to adjust to his new surroundings.

its in a slightly bigger tub than i recieved him in. temp in his heat end is 30degrees and the cooler end is just room temp(minus aircon and i have the fan on low..) is this wrong.
the breeder had fed thawed pinkie mice, and one pinkie rat on his last feed.
I think he may be starting to shed... so I just open his tub to change the water daily and other than that i am giving him space to adjust to his new surroundings.
Lawra is correct in saying you dont need to add friends to gain advice on here ;) but I will add you any-how cause you cant have too many friends :D

Whoa whoa I doubt you have to force feed him! That's extreme cases ha ha. Just leave him be for another week. Don't handle him, don't disturb him just let him settle in. Change his water every 2 days otherwise just leave him be. After a week try and feed him again. Try a few things like scenting the food item with various smells, like a mouse. You can snip the end of the pinkys nose a little to try enticing him. Or grab a needle and push it through the head of the food, it sounds horrible I know, but it can help.

Good luck!

yeah i doubt i could even force feed him if i needed too.... if it comes to that(fingers n toes crossed it doesnt)but iwould take him to a reptile vet andthankyou [MENTION=38897]Beans[/MENTION] all very good advice =]

When i got my first jungle i was told to not handle her at all for 2 weeks, put a towel over her hatchy box, basically forget she existed unless cleaning/offering food etc. she was feeding mouse than rat for previous owner, but refused rats for about 4 weeks -.- i had to break some skin to entice her first few times. she's still a pain in the bum to feed sometimes. lol in comparison to my other snake she seems pretty sketchy/unsure/uneasy of things(getting taken out, going to a different room, going outside etc) i guess some are carefree and others are cautious and take a little while to feel comfortable ^_^ does he have a shed/feeding record? i know mine shed almost monthly on the dot, and she doesnt eat when getting close to shed :) but he definitely wont starve missing a couple weeks of food :)

yeah like [MENTION=24766]Snake-Supplies[/MENTION] said be patient. I will to a bit of checking and post later to make sure you definitely have all your temps right etc.

- - - Updated - - -

just consulted my guide and temps should be between 27-35 degrees. Not sure about hatchlings but a good size jungle should only be fed every 7-10 days. Coming up to a shed could be a factor, also might need time to settle in as already stated. hope this helps [MENTION=40078]ladydj890[/MENTION]

I wouldn't worry.
Just be patient.

Definitely dont worry yet. Mine were put away in a quiet place first for a few weeks before feeding but one actually wouldnt get in its click clack so I carried him home and just put in a bigger one at home...
They have both gone off food for months at a time. Just keep them warm

Firstly, it may be that your warm- end temps are about 3 or 4 degrees too low. Secondly (and importantly) ditch the pink mice/rats. All Carpets start better on good-sized fuzzy mice or small weaners. having bred hundreds of Carpets of many varieties over the years, I have found many, probably most, Carpet hatchlings are indifferent to pink mice, but relish larger fuzzy mice with a bit of fur.

As far as settling in goes, most captive bred babies will feed the day you bring them home if the enclosure parameters meet their needs. They do not need to "settle in" to a new environment because they are not sedentary in the bush (unlike a lot of mature adults), they move around constantly, so their environment is not static anyway. They don't get hooked on one place. If the temps and the shelter is OK, and the food offered is suitable, they will 99% of the time feed immediately.

Jamie

Jamie

In referring to settling in I mean if you move a hatchy from a small click clack to a proper vivarium it may freak out as its small and the space to it is massive.

- - - Updated - - -

In referring to settling in I mean if you move a hatchy from a small click clack to a proper vivarium it may freak out as its small and the space to it is massive.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. I would normally keep a carpet in a smaller enclosure for at least 12 months (or until maybe 1m long) then move it into a larger space.

J

I've always found it easier when u see them hunting.
they tell u when they're hungry.
if it's been awhile u can get them in the mood by pokin a coil close to its with the food item then take it away, close the lid , cover them & walk away.
come back in a hour or so and ull prolly find them hunting, that's ur green light rite there.
like others have said , be patient.
Leave him for a week then try annoying him again.
ive had problem feeders before , very frustrating @ times but they eventually crack and when then do they usually end up being machines 1nce there adults.
good luck , have fun!

Firstly, it may be that your warm- end temps are about 3 or 4 degrees too low. Secondly (and importantly) ditch the pink mice/rats. All Carpets start better on good-sized fuzzy mice or small weaners. having bred hundreds of Carpets of many varieties over the years, I have found many, probably most, Carpet hatchlings are indifferent to pink mice, but relish larger fuzzy mice with a bit of fur.

As far as settling in goes, most captive bred babies will feed the day you bring them home if the enclosure parameters meet their needs. They do not need to "settle in" to a new environment because they are not sedentary in the bush (unlike a lot of mature adults), they move around constantly, so their environment is not static anyway. They don't get hooked on one place. If the temps and the shelter is OK, and the food offered is suitable, they will 99% of the time feed immediately.

Jamie

Jamie

Yes I only have a fighting fish heat mat atm as I live in a very small town and am still waiting for my proper heat mat to arrive.
Also does it matter that he's still very small? Feed him fuzzies anyway?
ybeje2e8.jpg
this is his enclosure. Did I do the wrong thing by putting him in so early and if so is it fixable or is the damage done.
Sorry if I have truly effed up I was just so excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the snake isn't dead, everything is fixable :)! That's a pretty big cage for a newborn snake, so I'd put him into a small (5 litre) plastic tub (with a few small ventilation holes at each end (not in the top) with a bottom heat source about one quarter the area of the base, and couple of small boxes (light-globe boxes are good for baby carpets) for him to hide in. Get rid of the shredded paper and replace it with a layer or two of paper towel, changed as you need to. Make sure the lid doesn't have any channels that the snake can get out of around the lip when the lid is on. The heat mat you are using will be fine as long as it doesn't get too hot. Make sure the holes you drill or melt into the plastic tub are too small to allow the snout through - if they can push their snout into it up to where their head gets wider, they can push trying to get out and permanently damage the scales around the face.

I start my hatchlings on fuzzy/small weaner mice from their first feed, so they won't be too big for your snake.

Keep us posted.

Jamie

yeah but some newbies only keep them in their for a few months or put them in an enclosure straight away.
Anyway we all learn from our mistakes!

I don't see it as a mistake, just a misunderstanding of the needs of a very small snake - I wasn't being critical. Some small snakes are OK in big enclosures, most prefer the security of a smaller container.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back