Diamond pythons - Preparation for breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Seeing its that time of the year and after a pretty ordinary clutch last year.

I want to see that what everyone's plans for temperatures and light exposure are to get an idea on what I should be at. All the information has started to confuse me.

The current thing I was told was start in April

Drop the temperature by 1 degree a week until 21 and night time is 15 and decrease daylight hours by 1
Until on a 6 hour supplied light. From 8-4.

I have read the following
Snake ranches new book
Keeping carpet pythons
Keeping and Breeding Australian pythons
Nurmeous herp sheets

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I live in newcastle also. Diamond Pythons are native to the area ( now that should kickstart all the Intergrade fanatics....lol)
Cant see why you have to alter daylight hours or temperatures at all.
If you have an ambient ( or cool ) side and a light on a timer at the hot end , all you have to do is put a male into the females cage and they will breed .
They should mate in the first 24 hrs - if not , take male out and try again in a few days.
Thats what i am going to do ..... and i will get them to breed. Been doing it for 30 yrs.

Thanks heaps.

What is your hot spot set at ?

I have a nice day night thermostat. So can vary both as necessary.

Have you read the pages on southern cross reptiles? They have a good bit of reading to do if your interested.

Rick

Just reading the Article number 5.

It shows a great temperature and light table.

I basically agree with [MENTION=27470]hulloosenator[/MENTION] on this one. I haven`t bred pure diamonds yet ( hopefully first time this year ) but I`ve bred intergrades, which are pretty close, the last 2 years and only give day time heat, the ambient temps look after the cooling for you. Sounds like hulloosenator is trying to keep it simple for you, and to be honest, that's the best way, otherwise it becomes confusing.

Just pick both of your brains one last time.

When is last supper scheduled for your snakes.

Anytime in April for me. No set date, just when I run out of food or I think ambient temps are getting a bit low, or maybe they go into shed and I think that will do them. I try not to over think it.

Same as Norm there mate........ My females look nice and plump as i have had to feed off all my rats before i went on a holiday. I dont fatten up the males ( they dont lay eggs ).

as a reference,i use the Diamond cooling cycle chart in Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons,edited by,Mike Swan

as does the rest of the Diamond Keepers i know,here in the UK

we just adjust the months to cover our winter season,etc

i give them their last feed 1st September,allow 4 weeks to clear their gut,then start dropping the night time temps and light cycles from 1st October,i warm them back up over the month of February, giving them their first feeds at the end of Ferbuary (i only feed 6 months of the year)

night time lows of 50 F to 55 F (i set a small heat mat at 50 F incase the temp drops too low)

per day...a 2 to 4 hour, basking spot of 90 F and 2.0 Natural Sunlight UVB bulb (all with bulb guards)

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

What's the weight for the males?

i would try Males at 18 months and older

females i wait until 5 years and older

cheers shaun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back