When is a snake too big for their enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Reaction score
I adopted my 3rd Coastal the other day, and she came with her enclosure and everything in it. I noticed her water bowl was way too small, and so were her hides.. and now it's evident her enclosure is as well.

I was expecting she would be in a nice big enclosure with furnishing she could actually use but it's evident she isn't.
She looks so crammed in her enclosure and since I just spent all that money on her and her enclosure, I'm tight for money at the moment, or else I would be buying her a new one. Is it okay if I leave her in there until I can afford a big, new enclosure for her and just let her out to stretch every so often?

This is her in her enclosure:
IMG_0606[1].jpg
I know it's hard to see, but all sprawled out she's double and a half the length of the enclosure.... :(
Any alternative's I can do until then? I will be able to afford it with a couple weeks savings, just not now.

It will be fine until you can get something bigger. A month in that isn't going to kill her or anything.

I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. Like When will my woma be too big for her three ft enclosure? She's 1.3m

Rule of thumb as I've heard it is "longest side of the tank should be no less than half the length of the snake".

More important is: do you have room for a water bowl and hide that meet the snake's needs, and can still work in the tank and keep it clean? There is no absolute rule (though in NSW there is the COP). It often comes down to what makes you comfortable. EDIT: and you need enough space for the snake to either warm or cool themselves - a Thermal Gradient is important.

Having too small a tank won't hurt in the short term. However, in the long term it may lead to stress, which increases risk of illness.

Last edited:
Why do you keep getting snakes if you don't know such basic information as you keep asking in your threads?

Your snake will be absolutely fine in that tank until you can afford a new one..

Tank size. Half length of snake- length of enclosure, third length of snake- depth of enclosure.

As said by @Ramy, make sure you can fit hides and water bowl comfortably and there shouldnt be an issue with size.

Rick

Why do you keep getting snakes if you don't know such basic information as you keep asking in your threads?

Your snake will be absolutely fine in that tank until you can afford a new one..

I do know basic knowledge through books and research, but ask on here a lot to confirm/hear other's opinons. Of course I wouldn't be getting so many snakes if I didn't know basic care. I want to hear what many other people's opinions are rather than trusting what one book author says. I'm also confirming so much basic info as I am naturally a perfectionist, especially when it comes to living creatures.
I'm sorry if I come off as unknowable, but I assure you I do know basic knowledge, and beyond, and have learnt a lot being on these forums, I just have something wrong with me mentally that I need confirmation of what I read from real people.

[MENTION=39861]Classabear[/MENTION] That's fair enough then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back