Miss escape artist

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Reaction score
In another thread a few days ago I mentioned my yearling coastal amity escaping her enclosure. Since then I have started to take the thermostat chord out every night to prevent her from trying to squeeze through. Today just as I was about to take it out before sleeping I noticed she had been trying to pry herself through the gap in the glass door that the chord was running through an she got stuck. Luckily I was able to save her with no injuries, but now I am worried about her trying to squeeze through the gap between the sliding doors. I'm upgrading her enclosure soon and am now paranoid about her trying to squeeze through and hurting herself. I really didn't think it was possible for her to fit through all these tiny gaps...

What can I do to prevent her from getting stuck, and will she calm down and stop trying to escape eventually? I'm sooo paranoid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the heat running during the night without thermostat cord? I would be concerned if this were the case.

I referred to your other thread (http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...rning-really-silly-question-enclosure-212619/) for a photo of your setup - have you corrected the glass lock location? Is the heat mat cord the one shown going through through the front and is the thermostat cord in the same location?

I think until you are able to run the cords through the side of the enclosure a better option would be a click-clack style tub so there's no chance of her escaping.

Try getting some foam dam or something thick like dbl sided tape that you can take one side off and put inside the edge of glass... I havve them is systema 5l click clacks for ages. They have 4 lock tabs.. and no escaping... why not run the cord under the enclosure and fill the gap? I had to tape the lid down and lock the door on mine...

Hi,
I had/have this problem with my childreni. Despite being an appropriate size and people ASSURING me that it was impossible, she got out. She initially got out through the hole in the top from the thermostat cable (as newbies we didn't even THINK about that problem) and the second time, despite being SO sure the enclosure was tight, she got out through the glass doors. Both times we were so lucky and found her and we watched her as she retraced her steps to confirm that that is how she escaped. Here are our solutions for both, I'm not sure if it will help you.
The first is cable ducting from bunnings with foam inserted and the thermometer and thermostat cables fed through it.. (only problem is if your cables are too short.
ducting.jpg
second is plastic moulding from bunnings.. I cant remember where I got this, but you'd recognise it if you saw it. I'll attach pictures. We put this on the inside door and filled it with a foam strip. This means that even if she pushes against it, she cant squeeze through. It's sort of shaped like a L... we cut it to allow room for the lock and we can still slide the doors. The only trick is to make sure the doors are shut as tight as possible, because one evening I was watching (from across the room )her slide along the door when suddenly her head started coming towards me !! sure enough, I'd locked it with about a 3 mm gap accidentally. Lucky I was watching her!
plastic strip.jpguntitled.jpg
I hope that's been helpful.

bunnings sell foam weather stripping its perfect for between the glass [ where it over laps ] about $5 a roll.

Do you have the heat running during the night without thermostat cord? I would be concerned if this were the case.

I referred to your other thread (http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...rning-really-silly-question-enclosure-212619/) for a photo of your setup - have you corrected the glass lock location? Is the heat mat cord the one shown going through through the front and is the thermostat cord in the same location?

I think until you are able to run the cords through the side of the enclosure a better option would be a click-clack style tub so there's no chance of her escaping.

No, I completely switch the heat off at night and put it on first thing in the morning.
yes, i've corrected the lock now and it works fine, and yes the thermostat chord is going through the same gap. I've since taken the heat matt out and switched to a bulb + cage though.

Yeah, I will probably get my hands on a 50L container to put her in for now.

As was mentioned, use of weather strip (from Bunnings or other hardwares) between the overlap in the glass is the best way to seal that escape route. I personally prefer the ‘brush’ style to the foam. All Antaresia species should have this as a matter due course, being the ‘Houdinis’ they are. Other species may require it where the gap between the doors exceeds 5mm. It has the added benefit of reducing heat loss through air flow.

Probes etc can be placed inside the enclosure through a hole just big enough to fit it through. Where this leaves a significant gap between the attached cord and the hole, a rubber grommet of the appropriate size will effectively seal this. If the grommet cannot be stretched over the probe (or whatever), it can be sliced down one side and will work effectively if it is the correct size i.e. same thickness as the wall and same diameter of the hole.

Blue

Funnily enough my little stimmi got out last week through the thermostat hole which to this day I can't believe. Turns out he chose the first place I returned home to which was under my shirt on the middle of my bed. I was amazed, he's only 30cm there are a million other places he could have gone that I'd hae never checked. I ended up stuffing the remainder of the thermostat probe hole with a big wad of Blu tack which is stuck on nice and securely. I'm just glad I found him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back