Pythons starting to shut down already?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogshla

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi there one of my children's pythons has gone off his food for 2 months. Last feed was 20th of Jan. He is about 2 years old and is in a rack/tub system with a warm end of 33c, 2 hides, water and he isn't handled or bothered in anyway.
Do you think he is starting to shut down for the winter or could there be a problem. I have tried mice, hopper rats, small quails, braining and dipping in egg yolk. I am leaving a thawed brained mouse in his enclosure over night and see what happens.
He has an underdeveloped eye since his was a hatchy but that has never stopped him from slamming food.
Not sure wether to get worried yet or not.
Cheers

Dont worry too much. Wait a while is its shed cycle coming or finishing... handeling well?

handling fine if anything he is too placid!! Shed would have been possibly 2 months ago also.

Hi there one of my children's pythons has gone off his food for 2 months. Last feed was 20th of Jan. He is about 2 years old and is in a rack/tub system with a warm end of 33c, 2 hides, water and he isn't handled or bothered in anyway.
Do you think he is starting to shut down for the winter or could there be a problem. I have tried mice, hopper rats, small quails, braining and dipping in egg yolk. I am leaving a thawed brained mouse in his enclosure over night and see what happens.
He has an underdeveloped eye since his was a hatchy but that has never stopped him from slamming food.
Not sure wether to get worried yet or not.
Cheers
U state "he"... I have a male stimi that in his 2nd and3rd yr only ate 3/4 months of the yr and was a horny little bugger... He ate last week but the signs r that he's not really interested... The 2 girls I have ... 1 is going off and the other is not interested at all regardless off temps.... Ants know when it's time!!!... So don't wry

Last edited:
Grogshla. I have an anteresia that did not eat for over 10 months. I bred her again this year and she laid 12 eggs, 3 more (30%more) then last time she bred two years ago. Every egg hatched every hatchling is 100% robust and healthy and she is in great condition. She started eating a couple of days after I took her eggs. Nearly 11 mths no food, and threw a perfect clutch with absolutely no loss of condition. If you saw this snake in the flesh you, like many others that have seen her and been told the story would probably not beleive it but it is true , I record everything. Do not worry... just keep checking that the animal has no visible signs of sickness it will eat when it wants to.

thanks for the advice. Cement I appreciate it mate thats exactly what i needed to hear :) I will keep checking to make sure everything is set up properly and that he is ok and I guess he will eat when he wants.

As u can c from cements comment that adult ants really require very little food... Example of this from when I lived in the UK... We used to go looking for grass snakes and it's well known that adults can live healthy lives with just 2/3 maybe 4 frogs a yr.... Tho they spend along time in the winter months hidden away from the lovely UK weather ;)

The weather in Adelaide is starting to get cold of a night again and I'm expecting my stimmie to go off feeding anytime soon.

Most of my Diamonds and my ants are already shutting down for winter. Temps have nothing to do with it. If there is natural light in their room the shorter day cycles signal them to stop eating around now.

Most snakes just keep eating all year round, but others are triggered by the photo period and their is nothing you can do about it. Its a natural thing that would occur in the wild

Yeah good call bigguy. I normally have the rack system in my laundry and it gets natural light in the day (coming in off the living room). I might leave the laundry light on during the day just to help them out with day night cycle and see how that goes.
Cheers

Wont work If there is any natural light coming into the room, you can't override this response. They just know somehow what is natural light compared to artificial

1 of my diamonds have gone off food two weeks and is starting to bake around 10 - 12 and then rest in the box the rest of the time.

1 of my diamonds turned down an extra rat which is very unusal so i say he wont be far off shut down.

and the intergrade is still hungry as always

My jungles however are still pumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back