Treatment for OPMV?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me if OPMV can be treated or do all cases end in death?

Its for a Quarantine assignment, my animals do not have OPMV.. just clearing that up :|

Can you even diagnose OPMV with a live specimen? I thought they needed brain tissue samples or something?

OPMV it seems is extremely rare in this country, following research in WA by Tim Hyndman. I haven't been up to speed for a year or two on this, but I don't think Tim found even one case which came up positive for OPMV in the hundreds of post-mortem samples he looked at, hence his discovery of the Sunshine Virus. As far as I know, all symptomatic cases end in death.

Jamie

Thankyou Jamie.
Ive read the papers, just wanted to make sure i didn't miss anything.

No worries Sel. I think there is more known about OPMV in the US, and they may even have a diagnostic blood test there for it.

J

A hemagglutination-inhibition test has been developed to test for specific antibodies of OPMV, this is the live animal blood test I would think Jamie was referring to. Other diagnostic testing is post-mortem. There is however no treatment and as Jamie stated, all symptomatic cases end in death. There is research current regarding both a dead and live vaccine for OPMV, however while there has been a antibody response to vaccination, it has been variable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back