wild scrubbie question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmazingMorelia

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Having watched alot of programs like python hunters where they find Scrubbies in the wild, a couple of things seem prominent. One is that there seems to be really good wild numbers of them in their range (dont eat toads maybe?) and also alot of the big ones are actually quite docile when handled. Even the rescue ones were. Now obviously with the scrubbies reputation I would have expected wild ones to be far more aggressive. Now is this the case or do you think they just caught someones pet ones to make it look good for TV?
Seems harder to find a carpet in the wild than a scrubbie going by those programs.

My scribbles are quite docile when cold but give them some nice heat and we'll you'd want to watch out..

Those who do snake rescues in scrubbie areas seem to consider them fairly quiet - one theory is that we keep them too warm in captivity.

Jamie

Pretty sure [MENTION=19694]Firepac[/MENTION] deals with them on occasion, maybe he can provide some more insight.

In this area 10 years ago I only relocated probably around 2-3 a year, in the last couple of years there as been a sharp increase in numbers especially those over 3.5M. Overall they are reasonable docile I have had a few this year that I could handle without restraining their head. The majority though will make some show of lunging if you intrude into their space too closely but its mostly a warning and not a serious attempt to bite. Of course if you provoke them or make them feel threatened the are quite capable and prepared to defend themselves. Here is one round the 4M mark trying to bluff me whilst being relocated last weekend...

DSC_1694A_zpsf6c5276d.jpg

Hey FirePac, 20 years ago they were apparently not found in the whitsunday's. I have heard a few escapees from a certain someone in the last decade or so are the progeny of what we find today. Without giving out too much details, have you heard the same thing? According to their geographical range in all books, there distribution stops north Townsville?

Having watched alot of programs like python hunters where they find Scrubbies in the wild, a couple of things seem prominent. One is that there seems to be really good wild numbers of them in their range (dont eat toads maybe?) and also alot of the big ones are actually quite docile when handled. Even the rescue ones were. Now obviously with the scrubbies reputation I would have expected wild ones to be far more aggressive. Now is this the case or do you think they just caught someones pet ones to make it look good for TV?
Seems harder to find a carpet in the wild than a scrubbie going by those programs.
I dont know that particular program, but have heard it is common practice to keep the display animals "in the fridge' prior to shooting.

Hey FirePac, 20 years ago they were apparently not found in the whitsunday's. I have heard a few escapees from a certain someone in the last decade or so are the progeny of what we find today. Without giving out too much details, have you heard the same thing? According to their geographical range in all books, there distribution stops north Townsville?
[MENTION=24989]Jeffa[/MENTION] Yes I have heard that but Qld Parks and Wildlife have done DNA testing on various specimens that have been relocated and they advise me that there is a naturally occurring population here. Not saying that there hasn't been some escapees adding to the genetic mix though.

Thats great to hear they are doing well. What do you think might be the reason for their growth in numbers? I have heard that it is far eazier to find a Scrubbie around Tully than a carpet.
I see your from Proserpine? Do you have many pics of prossie locale carpets in the wild? If so would love to see them.

In this area 10 years ago I only relocated probably around 2-3 a year, in the last couple of years there as been a sharp increase in numbers especially those over 3.5M. Overall they are reasonable docile I have had a few this year that I could handle without restraining their head. The majority though will make some show of lunging if you intrude into their space too closely but its mostly a warning and not a serious attempt to bite. Of course if you provoke them or make them feel threatened the are quite capable and prepared to defend themselves. Here is one round the 4M mark trying to bluff me whilst being relocated last weekend...

DSC_1694A_zpsf6c5276d.jpg

Last edited:
I can't speak for Tully but we definitely still get a lot more carpets than Scrubbies. As to why we are seeing more now I am not really sure, a lot of them we remove from chook pens so maybe with more people living in rural and semi rural areas and keeping chickens they are being attracted? Maybe some loss of habitat is also a factor?

I can't speak for Tully but we definitely still get a lot more carpets than Scrubbies. As to why we are seeing more now I am not really sure, a lot of them we remove from chook pens so maybe with more people living in rural and semi rural areas and keeping chickens they are being attracted? Maybe some loss of habitat is also a factor?
Is it possible to see some pics of the carpets you see around Proserpine? Would be interesting to the variation of colour and pattern.

sure, ill get some together and PM them to you (as I don't want to hijack this thread) probably tomorrow.

sure, ill get some together and PM them to you (as I don't want to hijack this thread) probably tomorrow.
Cool, but feel free to hijack away. It would be interesting to see how my RP prossies actually compare to wild ones.
Cheers

I see the occasional scrubbie. They seem more nervous/flighty than anything, the little ones more than the bigger ones.

Srubbies have always been found from around Bowen north, not Townsville.
Srubbies have always been alot more commonly encountered than carpets around the Murry Falls - Inisfail area. (which are all Jungles in that area).
Once you go a bit further south to Cardwell and the Herbert valley etc, carpets become far more commonly encounted than scubbies.

could you please make a new thread with your Locale Specific Morelia mate.....

us guy's stuck on the other side of the planet really appreciate Locale Specific pictures

thanks in advance

cheers shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back