Natural branches..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Termites nests are not in the branches, they are under the ground. Termites placed in a snake enclosure will all be dead within a few days - they will not/cannot colonise when transposed like that.

Jamie

Ah okay. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the tip. :)

Mites do not live very long off the host body and don't usually interact so that reduces transfer possibilities. Mites get out of control in a captive situation because of the small confined space we keep our reptiles in. I have not seen as many wild pythons as some of our members but the ones I have seen have not had visible signs of mites. They can also shed the mites off and move away from that location where the mites may be.
Hi Andynic07.
That is true, but if a captive snake that escaped had a mite infestation before getting out, they will then have a host to live on.
Going from the papers that have been produced about Morelia spilota spilota, they do not venture far at all.
Meaning that they would have been tucked up in a cramped spot which would only encourage the mites to continue their life cycle.
Research on Morelia bredli has shown that a female has used the same site for egg laying each year. So surely those 2 bits of research may indicate that the likely hood of a python shedding then moving onto another area is highly unlikely.

I think the chances of snake mites managing a population outside of captivity will be greater in areas where wild populations of exotic species are common.
Once they are out there, I believe it would be very hard for them to be eradicated.

Thanks
Shaun.

There are some instances where rescued reptiles have been found to have snake mites (Ophionyssus natricis), but these have been in urban areas, and it is likely that those populations remain fairly confined. The chance of them being picked up and transferred to enclosures on branches is so unlikely as to be of no concern. The mite does no breed on snakes but needs to feed on snake's blood to grow into adult mites, and their life is not very long - if they don't feed, they die, unlike ticks which can go months or years without feeding. They are pretty fragile in fact.

They are believed to have originated in Africa and been spread throughout the world as reptiles were moved around by us, but in this country they remain largely an artefact of captive snakes.

Jamie

I am overly cautious, no harm in that. And when I was younger my dad's snake (diamond python) who for 6 years never had any interaction with another snake, or moved cage, and got mites and the only thing we had changed was a new branch for his enclosure. So I'd just rather spray it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am overly cautious, no harm in that. And when I was younger my dad's snake (diamond python) who for 6 years never had any interaction with another snake, or moved cage, and got mites and the only thing we had changed was a new branch for his enclosure. So I'd just rather spray it.

Yep often transferred from keepers who go to pet stores or other places where snakes or snake people are. I know a few people who put their clothes straight in the wash and have a shower after a herpetological meeting.

Yep often transferred from keepers who go to pet stores or other places where snakes or snake people are. I know a few people who put their clothes straight in the wash and have a shower after a herpetological meeting.

I believe that has more to do with the goat ceremony mate.

There are some instances where rescued reptiles have been found to have snake mites (Ophionyssus natricis), but these have been in urban areas, and it is likely that those populations remain fairly confined. The chance of them being picked up and transferred to enclosures on branches is so unlikely as to be of no concern. The mite does no breed on snakes but needs to feed on snake's blood to grow into adult mites, and their life is not very long - if they don't feed, they die, unlike ticks which can go months or years without feeding. They are pretty fragile in fact.

They are believed to have originated in Africa and been spread throughout the world as reptiles were moved around by us, but in this country they remain largely an artefact of captive snakes.

Jamie
Thanks for the reply Jamie.
Looks like I will need to do that little bit more research on snake mites and how they reproduce (not just their life cycle).
Thanks for the extra info.

Thanks
Shaun.

You don't need to do anything at all with them. Maybe just give them a good soak in an antibacterial soak and you'll be fine

I love natural branches, when I prune my trees I put the off cuts on my branch rack to dry out then pop them straight into the enclosures. My guyz crawl all over these same branches most of the time anyhow and haven't come to any harm.

Well it wouldn't. That was just in case you were comfortable with putting it in with nothing done. In case you were overly protective :p

I get deadwood off the ground, soak it in hot water to get the bugs out (because I have enough bugs in my house already), dry it in the sun and pop it in.

I only give my branches a quick spray with the hose and a scrub, just to remove any loose bits (bark, dirt ect).

If the branch isnt reasonably fresh from a tree and laying on the ground i will normally drown the branch in the bath, i dont particually want my lizards eating stink bugs (poisonous as far as im aware) or other unknown bugs. Mites and bacteria are not a huge concern as most have already said, do be afraid to use real branches from your own gardens.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back