Ants on the rat rack!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReptileCove

Reaction score
Hey all,
I went down today to check up on my rats in the rat rack and found a fair few ants all over it. I took the rats out, emptied out all the bedding and sprayed the base with mortein. I also made sure no ants were left on it. How do i stop them from returning as i am sure now they know the rats are there they will keep coming back?
Any help/tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all

ant rid will fix them , follow the directions on the bottle and it should wipe them out .

One thing you can try is putting the rats food dish in a shallow dish of water. But that wont work if your rats like to bury their food.

If your rack is on legs, put the legs in buckets (or similar) of water....

Ant Rid is toxic, if its on legs smear Vicks Vapour rub around the base of the legs. ~B~

get some tuna and buy frontline (the stuff for your cat and dog) mix together and place the laced tuna on ant trails. The ant colony will be exctint within days. keep away from rats. Our vet has told us that it is not toxic to dogs or cats if swallowed.

I've used ant rid inside the house before and works a treat. What are the ants attracted to in the first place. You could use vaso on the legs as a cheaper alternative to Vicks while you get the ants under control!

I would try to remove the reason for the ants entering the rat tub as it is not usual for ants to co-habit with rats. Perhaps there is food attractive to ants laying around. Ants form an important part of natures biodiversity. There are probably more subtle managemnet tools than nuecing the world, until all we are left with is reptiles and humans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back