Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pseudechis papuanis from Sabai Is. on the books. Now that would be exciting.

But of much more limited appeal I think
Much smaller percentage of snake owners have vens

White lips are stunning animals
Easy to care for
Very docile compared to many waters

I'm pretty sure that if White Lips were discovered on the mainland, the Museum in the state/territory in which they were found would publish the fact, and claim the specimens for further work, DNA testing etc, they would not be given to private individuals to introduce into the pet trade - remember the kerfuffle surrounding Peter Krauss and his Oenpellis - the only person ever to breed them in captivity had them confiscated and they were consigned to eventual miserable deaths in the NT.

Forgive me for persisting with this, but I am pretty familiar with the way these bureaucracies work, and I can't see the need for secrecy about the process unless privilege has been extended to some and it has been decided by both sides to stay "mum" about it. I can perfectly understand the need to maintain the privacy of the individuals involved. There may be a perfectly OK explanation, but so far it seems odd to me. As someone who is probably more interested in the politics of wildlife keeping and is familiar with the extraordinary efforts individuals have to go through to collect anything from the wild rather than actually maintaining a collection these days, the process is of interest to me.

Once again, I can only say I support any introduction of native species into the "trade," but bureaucracies work in very strange ways very much related to the individuals who hold power at the time. Who would have thought that in WA, where up until 10 years ago, the taking of one reptile from the wild was regarded as a heinous crime against conservation, the legal taking of Stimson's and SW Carpets has been allowed by licensed individuals for over 10 years now, long after there were enough in the "system" to satisfy captive breeding needs?

Jamie

I completely agree Jamie, the politics and beurocrocies surrounding these very "grey areas" always interest me as well. It reminds me of Jags and Leatherbacks leaglly papered as spilota and vitticeps but where did they come from?

yeah thats just a mystery no one will ever solve right there!

as for the white lips its no secret its just not my story to tell, perhaps one day when people stop whinging about someone else having them and not them and NPWS phones die down from complaints the real story will be openly discussed

I think everybody is more interested in the fact that photos of exotic reptiles have surfaced as legally papered animals and the promise they will be available in the hobby one day soon rather than the fact they don't have them. If I was involved in the project I probably wouldn't have posted pics unaccompanied by the details surrounding it. Not criticising just explaining.
As i said before it will be an awesome read....

It was omly a matter of time before they popped up.
Pretty exciting regardless

I'll take two. 1M..1F.

Heres hoping those single females are expensive:lol:

Hi all,

The snakes in question are stunning. Just curious does everyone know where the snakes in their enclosures are from.

I see little point in questioning how, why and whom. Instead take the people for their word and enjoy the fact that we all will be able to keep another sp of Python

cheers
scott

That is why the scenario I put up seems to me to be the only way it could possibly have been done

Not that I care where they've come from, but you've missed the QLD based confiscation and re-homing of poached/unlicensed wildlife. There are semi-regularly unlicensed snakes/crocs/turtles confiscated and put on paper then handed to demonstrators etc in QLD - seems valid that a pair might have been collected off license on a FNQ island and seized.

Not that I care where they've come from, but you've missed the QLD based confiscation and re-homing of poached/unlicensed wildlife. There are semi-regularly unlicensed snakes/crocs/turtles confiscated and put on paper then handed to demonstrators etc in QLD - seems valid that a pair might have been collected off license on a FNQ island and seized.

Is that how a Pernatty Knob-tailed Gecko popped up recently in QLD? Strange if that's the way it works in QLD. I wouldn't honestly think they'd do that with high profile (or rare in captivity/wild, however you want to take it) species. I would expect that anything like a White lipped Python would go to some sort of zoo/park possibly even outside of QLD if they were confiscated.

I understand that part pretty well
Had a Qld demonstrators licence for years
Never heard of anything rare coming up for grabs

I see little point in questioning how, why and whom. Instead take the people for their word and enjoy the fact that we all will be able to keep another sp of Python

What's wrong with wanting to know the story of how they came to be on license? Don't think anyone on here has asked why or whom just how.

What's wrong with wanting to know the story of how they came to be on license? Don't think anyone on here has asked why or whom just how.

For me, that's exactly the only question that interests me - the species, and who managed the mechanics of it are of very little interest to me at all. Once the species is on a list, I wonder how long before the orange ones surface in Australia...

Jamie

So Mark and Pia can you tell me the exact origins of all your reptiles and how they ended up in captivity. I am curious and feel that because I want to know that's a perfectly good reason for you to tell me.

I could not answer your question even if I wanted to, I don't know.

Cheers
scott

I think it's a point of interest to many of the old-timers because we all know you can't just front up and say to the state authority "look, I just caught these Hoop Snakes and I'd like to keep them to breed them for the trade..." You'd have them confiscated and there'd be a prosecution to follow... unless you had a permit to collect, and in Qld that's almost an impossibility for private individuals. When a new species, which possibly doesn't even exist on Aussie soil, arrives complete with official paperwork in someone's collection, of course it's a matter of great curiosity for those of us who know the systems, and who've spent decades trying to get the bureaucratic "dead hands" off our hobby. If I went to the authorities in Qld and said I wanted to collect (or had collected) some V. keithhornei to breed and sell into the trade, what do you reckon the response would be?

It's only natural that the fanfare with which their arrival was announced will spike great curiosity among the experienced sector of the keeping community. Some people are only interested in the ends, but many people are also interested in the means to those ends - it's human nature. The process is the point of curiosity.

Jamie

Becuase of the amount of people trying to cause trouble over the legality of these animals by whinging to QLD parks, they have looked right into the matter and they are satisfied that they are legal animals.

Funny how people go out of their way to make something a mystery and then get up set when people ask the who, what, when, where and why's. I thought facebook had the rights to that. lol
Anyway I'd still pay for one. lol

No mystery and no one in the know is upset, just amused about the try hards trying to cause trouble, its just not any ones business. Not my story to tell either.
There are a number of old school herpers out there that have very little at all to do with the herp scene these days because of the direction it has gone with jags and all the cross bred rubbish etc. Some of these guys have been keeping special stuff for years that no one has a clue about. Why??? because its no ones business but their own. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back