Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordo must be stoked given his fruitless attempts to find this mysterious critter in the past.

Does anyone know what the temperament is like of these snakes in general?

Gordo must be stoked given his fruitless attempts to find this mysterious critter in the past.

Yea I just sent him congrats.

Re my earlier comment, Gavin has had 2 for some time now and Faye's post suggests he has recently acquired another 3 = 5. I believe the Section 19 permit is for 4. I have no problem with Gavin or this project but I am far from convinced that the numbers have fallen and there is an urgent need for a captive breeding program to "save the species" anyway. Countrymen dont seem to think so.

My issue is that very often whitefellas make agreements with blackfellas and then exceed or break the contract. I believe Gavin is honorable but I am always a tad wary with these things given what I have witnessed in the past.

He got the first one...and then a large female....then these two...to my knowledge.
I am sure once they get them vet checked to make sure they are very healthy, if not they can release them and replace...JMO though lol

Does anyone know what the temperament is like of these snakes in general?

They're supposed to be pussy cats from what I've read. Basically a Scrubby sized Children's which would make them very enticing for the pet trade in the future.

Gordo seems stoked on Facebook. Poor bloke has been searching for years. Good on him and Gavin

The NT Government gave Gavin permission to collect 8 pythons for this captive breeding program.
I'm very happy to hear a male has been found!

He got the first one...and then a large female....then these two...to my knowledge.
I am sure once they get them vet checked to make sure they are very healthy, if not they can release them and replace...JMO though lol

My understanding is that it is risky releasing a snake that has been in captivity back into the wild. It may have come into contact with a disease and spread it in the field. I doubt the contract has a swap if you change your mind clause lol.

haha fair enough
Just being allowed to collect four seems a bit silly IMO
Want a bigger gene pool ESP when it is a once and only capture

Really good news for the Gordo. They are amazing pythons, cant wait to own one eventually

The NT Government gave Gavin permission to collect 8 pythons for this captive breeding program.
I'm very happy to hear a male has been found!

The NT Government doesn't grant the Section 19 permit. The Northern Land Council does on behalf of the Traditional Owners.
That is because they own the land where he is collecting. He needs NT Govt permits too but without the Section 19 nothing can happen.

I'm glad they found the male too. And a very handsome bloke he is.

man they are beautiful, it is awesome to know that more have been found. i did a report at school as an endangered species report, was awesome to know more about oenpellis. thanks for that fay, good luck if they happen to see this:lol:

haha fair enough
Just being allowed to collect four seems a bit silly IMO
Want a bigger gene pool ESP when it is a once and only capture

The small number reflects the justification for removing them from the wild. That is that they are presumed to be declining like many animals in Kakadu (and therefor in Arnhem Land also). That is possibly true in Kakadu but let's not go into that here. He is not collecting in Kakadu.

TOs say they mostly eat fruit bats and there is no suggestion of any population stress with them.

I believe that they have a far greater distribution through Arnhem Land than is currently recognised and I have communicated this to Gavin in person.

The NT Government doesn't grant the Section 19 permit. The Northern Land Council does on behalf of the Traditional Owners.
That is because they own the land where he is collecting. He needs NT Govt permits too but without the Section 19 nothing can happen.

I'm glad they found the male too. And a very handsome bloke he is.

Ok, I was led to believe it was all cleared to collect 8 specimens from all authorities.
There was a good little article in Outback magazine April/May issue- Outback :: RM Williams

stevent - is there any reason you think they have a greater distribution than is currently recognised? genuinely interested....

Exciting news!

I am wondering about the likely age of the young male... photos can be deceiving. Is he ready to go? And also the most recently caught female?

Thanks for posting that pic Fay, i've been flat out since early last week and have hardly had a chance to sit down at the comp. Here's a pic of the second animal from last week. It's late i'll be back in the morning to answer questions.

View attachment 289645

Attachments

• DSC_03921.jpg
    DSC_03921.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for posting that pic Fay, i've been flat out since early last week and have hardly had a chance to sit down at the comp. Here's a pic of the second animal from last week. It's late i'll be back in the morning to answer questions.

View attachment 289645

very nice python, very stunning. good on you for finding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back