Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news .... on so many levels.
I don't believe these animals should be publicly displayed yet. Maybe in a few years time when theres been a few clutches. They should be treated with quite comfort and respect, and given body guards!

Great news .... on so many levels.
I don't believe these animals should be publicly displayed yet. Maybe in a few years time when theres been a few clutches. They should be treated with quite comfort and respect, and given body guards!

Do you mean photos shouldn't have been released or that the snakes should be kept away from the public? Or something else?

Do you mean photos shouldn't have been released or that the snakes should be kept away from the public? Or something else?
i believe his reffering to the post asking if they will be displayed at croc cove or what ever its called :)

They've been on display to the public for a very long time. I don't know if this is still the case, but it was over 10 years.

They should be kept away from the public. (i'm sure this will be the case).At least until they have have done the job that they were secured for. There is lot of pressure now on Bedford and co to produce offspring, not just for the wants of the 'hobbyists' and smugglers but for the actual conservation effort and as monetary reward to the TO's. It would be crazy to publicly display animals as important as this.

They should be kept away from the public. (i'm sure this will be the case).At least until they have have done the job that they were secured for. There is lot of pressure now on Bedford and co to produce offspring, not just for the wants of the 'hobbyists' and smugglers but for the actual conservation effort and as monetary reward to the TO's. It would be crazy to publicly display animals as important as this.
I know Gavin breeds a lot of his display animals. Surely if an animal can be displayed without compromising the breeding poential then it would add to the public awareness and education. Lets face it the input from the general reptile community has been minmal, so if displaying the animal can financially benefit the Traditional Owners, the project and conservation then why not. One reason Gavin "got the job" is that his track record shows that he is able to captive breed wild caught animals. ( even with display) By the way I dont know if Gavin intends displaying animals or not.

I know Gavin breeds a lot of his display animals. Surely if an animal can be displayed without compromising the breeding poential then it would add to the public awareness and education. Lets face it the input from the general reptile community has been minmal, so if displaying the animal can financially benefit the Traditional Owners, the project and conservation then why not. One reason Gavin "got the job" is that his track record shows that he is able to captive breed wild caught animals. ( even with display) By the way I dont know if Gavin intends displaying animals or not.

that is the reason for my question as i know he has some rare reptiles on display when i went a few years ago when it first opened

Fair enough question Phatty. Cement and Wokka have put both sides quite well and ultimately it's up to Gavin of course. However, given the previous history of this species suggesting that it's particularly sensitive to stress (remember that snakes don't often show stress) and considering what's at stake here, I don't think Gavin will risk reducing his chances of breeding them by displaying them.

Let me say it is heartening to have a lively discussion about this topic. I agree with SteveNT in that a lot of whitefellas have been disingenuous when dealing with Aboriginal landowners, and no doubt will continue to be. However I am under contract to ensure the deal we have is adhered to. More than that, they are my partners in this so my moral compass would not let me do anything detrimental to this project. I am eternally grateful to so many people that after 9 years this project is no longer a dream (although I still feel like I am dreaming) it is reality. First and foremost are Gordo and Greg/s and my Aboriginal partners. Their support is without parallel and they are aware of the impact and energy this project gives to the Landowners, Parks and Wildlife NT, the general public even going right through to the buzz in the herp community. In fact even the Oenpelli school kids are excited by this animal and this project I am lead to believe. This is a special snake there can be no doubt about it and I agree with much of what has been written and can only say that while Wokka is correct in that it could be displayed at CC, especially the sub adult until it matured, I hold this project in the highest regard so will not display them. They are, as someone said, a stress animal and anyone who has dealt with reptiles for a long time will have seen it in captives. These are wild caught animals and as such will be subject to minimal disturbance. I will go into a great deal more detail about a few things when I get a chance but again want to thank you all for the support on this forum. Initially I had hoped to pre-sell some animals to fund this project. That did not happen and that offer was removed some time ago for all those who pledged to pre-purchase. I will now try to breed them then see where it all goes. Regards Gavin
PS - am saving and checking poo for the snakes to see what they have been doing.

It's our pleasure Gavin. Thanks very much for your post, as it's great to hear from you directly about this project. It's good to hear that you won't be displaying them and will be having the faeces analyzed. The insights that will be gained from bringing this species into captivity and breeding it like you're intending on doing, will no doubt make a significant contribution to our understanding of this magnificent, enigmatic and mysterious species.

I look forward to updates on how these fellas get on. Hope you find a mature male Gavin.
Cheers, Aaron

Gordo is just showing off now lol. He looks great, nice big male should be great for the project.

I will go into a great deal more detail about a few things when I get a chance but again want to thank you all for the support on this forum.

Thanks for the personal update. I look forward to seeing what your growing collection of Oenpellis produces in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back