Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally? Very little. Still plenty of stone country, still plenty of places to hide from intense wildfires (crevices, caves, monsoonal vine thickets), still enough small mammals about for a large python to feed on every six months.

I also don't imagine ferals preying on Oenpellis is a big problem - apparently they are really hard to find? As for toads and your tall stories of wounded carpet pythons, anecdotally, all of the wild Oenpellis I've seen eating toads were fine... :p

Still enough small mammals for a large python to feed every 6 months? I hope you're not basing that on anecdotes! :p Now even if there is still enough small mammals, birds etc for them to feed every 6 months, how would that effect them if they are meant to be feeding every 3 months? We are getting in to the realm of hypothetical questions but i think they are relevant. A reduction in prey items will have an affect on population dynamics.

When there are researchers like John Woinarski (and he's not the only one) claiming that the reduction in small mammal populations and habitat for the reasons i already pointed out, is a threat and likely to have an affect on this animals population i think we need to listen. I don't think fires and feral predators are having a direct impact on their numbers, but i think it is very likely there is an indirect impact.

why are these so exxy? i did a bit of a google, but its not really helping me. Where rae they from? what family?

10 pages thoroughly read!
mild regret for posting prematurely.
looking forward to hearing updates over the next couple of years :)

Personally? Very little. Still plenty of stone country, still plenty of places to hide from intense wildfires (crevices, caves, monsoonal vine thickets), still enough small mammals about for a large python to feed on every six months.

I also don't imagine ferals preying on Oenpellis is a big problem - apparently they are really hard to find? As for toads and your tall stories of wounded carpet pythons, anecdotally, all of the wild Oenpellis I've seen eating toads were fine... :p

Im not a fan of oenpellis but do believe they may be in decline
We have the opportunity to save them, if we act now
So why not do it??
If they are not very fecund the reduction in small mammal numbers could have a huge impact
That impact would not be on the adults as much as on the hatchies which must feed more often than every six months???
Although predators may avoid adults surely the hatchies are as vulnerable as any other young reptiles

Every ecosystem is a circle
We must preserve those circles where ever we can

Great work on the project guys, this is the sort of project i believe more people should be involved in and/or supporting, whether it be physically or thru other means. eg, financially.

Well done, look forward to hearing more in the future!

i was speaking to someone the other day he told me that he is going to pick up his oenpellis from some tribal men which are his friends how does that work ???
either telling porky pies or his doing something that is a little illegal , i could be wrong but i dont thing the government has given out any other permits and as there protected by government laws one would think that they would be the ones to give it out , permission may be needed from the indiginous people but i dont think that they themselves can just go giving them out to people

either telling porky pies or his doing something that is a little illegal , i could be wrong but i dont thing the government has given out any other permits and as there protected by government laws one would think that they would be the ones to give it out , permission may be needed from the indiginous people but i dont think that them themselves can just go giving them out to people

Well that is what I was thinking other wise every one in Darwin would have one haha

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thought I'd revive an old thread and ask if there is any update on the project and plans for the next steps with the snakes that have been found? Anyone have any info?

Bump guys. Any updates with the 5 that have been collected?

i was speaking to someone the other day he told me that he is going to pick up his oenpellis from some tribal men which are his friends how does that work ???

Are we seriously to beleive that Gavins are the only ones in existence in captivity?

As an aside,
How does everyone feel about these animals being crammed into tiny containers and smuggled overseas for huge dollars, and being cross bred with other morelia sub species and jags?
Is there a line in the sand with these "special' snakes, or does the hobby welcome the new blood to create more of the much loved mongrels that we see so prevalent today?
Cast your mind a few years down the road, they will be just like any other common captive python won't they?
A few people will gain legend status for bringing them in and "saving" them, while others with complete disregard for the mythology, evolution and provenence will be rubbing their hands together with glee at the thought of what they can now "produce".
Personally, I almost wish they were put back in the bush, knowing what this hobby has in mind for them.

...How does everyone feel about these animals being crammed into tiny containers and smuggled overseas for huge dollars, and being cross bred with other morelia sub species and jags?
Is there a line in the sand with these "special' snakes, or does the hobby welcome the new blood to create more of the much loved mongrels that we see so prevalent today?
Cast your mind a few years down the road, they will be just like any other common captive python won't they?
A few people will gain legend status for bringing them in and "saving" them, while others with complete disregard for the mythology, evolution and provenence will be rubbing their hands together with glee at the thought of what they can now "produce".
Personally, I almost wish they were put back in the bush, knowing what this hobby has in mind for them.
I'd be absolutely appalled, as I'm sure most would. Hopefully that's not going to happen to these magnificent creatures. I'm sure that Gavin will be doing everything in his power to ensure that this does not happen. My understanding is that the first captive bred Oenpelli's are going to select keepers with the necessary experience to look after these animals well.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing [MENTION=4778]cement[/MENTION]. I think a captive project with a new species is as exciting as it gets but when casting my mind a few years down the road I see a not so bright future for oenpellis once the irresponsible public get their hands on them. Museums, zoos and a select network of serious keepers should be where these animals stay.
Also once there is enough of them on license it just encourages poaching and the black market trade as with any high profile specie we have seen before.

I would have to disagree that the 'hobby' will somewhat ruin these guys in captivity.
Anyone prepared to pay big dollars for them will respect them. As for years down the track, I still think the majority will respect the species. Look at Roughies now, although they are less valuable dollar wise, people I've dealt with still very much value the species. I've heard rumors of GTP x RSP but never seen any, haven't heard of crossing with carpets. Yes some seem to have appeared questionably overseas, which is disappointing.
I personally think there's a vocal minority in all the forums that love the mixed muddled morphs, but a silent majority that happily keep locality types.
Bringing this species into captivity is a positive in my opinion & if anything will take pressure off any being poached (not that there easy to find by all accounts).
Fingers crossed they reproduce this season!

It hasn’t really been done with Scrubs (or if it has, it certainly isn’t as widely done as with other Morelia). So maybe people have a bit more respect for these bigger animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back