WARNING: Another noob question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Banned
Reaction score
WARNING ANOTHER NOOB QUESTION.

My Amity seems to be able to tolerate being handled but as soon as I put her back on her enclosure she seems to try to get away from me REALLY FAST. Like if snakes had legs, she would be the equiv to an Olympic runner, and could pass for at least a bronze medal... Also she's very anti social and I never see her outside her hides.

Whereas my Aviah does the complete opposite and loves being handled, is very calm and hates being put back in her enclosure, and I almost need to wrestle her back in... And she is almost never in her hide. She is a social butterfly

Is this an age thing? Aviah is 2 and amity is 1... I know I haven't handled them much so obvs amity isn't used to me, but if amity is always so anti social, will it be a bit more of a challenge for her to get used to me?

I know it will probably suppress with time but what can I do to speed things up a bit and earn her trust?

Btw I've had a few drinks so apologies for the noobness and rambling and everything else I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snakes dont like to be handled, they tolerate it but never enjoy it as a lot of people seem to think. Every snake is different just the same as people, some will tolerate it fine and others dont.

Rick

One word sums it up anthropomorphising.

"The first step is to understand how a snake lives and thinks – to develop snake empathy. Too many keepers tend to interpret snake behaviour in terms of human experience (called anthropomorphising), or think of them like mammals such as dogs and cats. But, snakes are very different and see the world very differently."

*taken from Untitled Document southern x reptiles and was only quoted and not written by me...

Cheers, Matt

Thanks guys but is there any way I can speed things up a bit? I handled her just then and she really freaked out a lot? I'm kinda worried.

Thanks guys but is there any way I can speed things up a bit? I handled her just then and she really freaked out a lot? I'm kinda worried.

Probably because she/he can smell the alcohol and feel the incoordination and find it offensive? Don't annoy your snakes while you're drinking, it just stresses them out.

Ah, animals and alcohol - a great combination... it really sharpens your judgement NOT! Just a suggestion, members here aren't interested in the pointless use of you snakes' names without the only important information - species and age. Nobody knows what you're talking about.

Jamie

There's no speeding it up. Your snake may become more tolerant of handling if you do so (infrequently) in a gentle manner and cause as little stress as possible. This will require you to learn what the snake will tolerate now and what it will not. There's no magic "trick" to it.
Having said that, snakes aren't 'trainable' like domestic cats or dogs. Your snake may never like a cuddle!

As the others have said, mixing alcohol and animals is a disaster waiting to happen for both parties! I wouldn't interact with any of my animals (dogs included) at any level of intoxication and don't think it wise for anyone else to.

I had sobered up by then, I wouldn't dare even go near the glass enosure
While drinking.

Leave it alone. Handle it once a day. Don't expect it to be coming up to the glass wanting to cuddle, ever.

Sometimes they come up to the glass looking like they want to come out. When this happens open the enclosure and stick your face right in. Wait for the kisses. lol

Seriously though snakes don't want to converse with humans it's not in their nature.

So what you're saying is that your snake doesn't strike when you try get them out, doesn't flail when you're handling it, and doesn't grab the branches once you're holding her so you can't get her out? She just moves inside quickly once she smells home?

That sounds so hard, I tell you what, I'll trade you your "Amity" for my "Elektra". (Hope you like red).

(What names don't tell you is that "Elektra" is a 5Kg, 2m Bredli who never settled down.)

One of mine greets me with an open mouthed smile. He is an awesome little thing to handle... -_- Some will never tame down.

Most will slither away from me if I put them down. Snakes don't like to be handled and as a newbie myself I don't understand how people think they do like it.

Something that would be helpful is the species of each. Antaresia are fairly quiet during the day and will spend a lot if time hiding. Something else that may help is how long you have had each.

Have had my two Darwin girls for 8 years or so and they both tolerate me and my routine, but that is as far as it goes
even though they live in a high traffic area and are not botherd by the TV or other goings on in the house they are glad to get back in there enclosure when they are out and that is only at feeding time. Neither has even tryed to strike in the last 6 years but my routine and there tolerance is the best I can hope for.

One of mine greets me with an open mouthed smile. He is an awesome little thing to handle... -_- Some will never tame down.

Most will slither away from me if I put them down. Snakes don't like to be handled and as a newbie myself I don't understand how people think they do like it.

Something that would be helpful is the species of each. Antaresia are fairly quiet during the day and will spend a lot if time hiding. Something else that may help is how long you have had each.

Both are the same species, Coastal Carpet Pythons.
I've had Amity (The problematic one) for almost 2 weeks now.
I've had Aviah (The sweet one) for almost 1 week.. and she already seems 'settled in'

- - - Updated - - -

So what you're saying is that your snake doesn't strike when you try get them out, doesn't flail when you're handling it, and doesn't grab the branches once you're holding her so you can't get her out? She just moves inside quickly once she smells home?

That sounds so hard, I tell you what, I'll trade you your "Amity" for my "Elektra". (Hope you like red).

(What names don't tell you is that "Elektra" is a 5Kg, 2m Bredli who never settled down.)

Amity doesn't strike when I get her out at all. She will make a quiet hiss, but that's about it. She is a big wuss....
When she's outside the enclosure, she tries to get away from me some days, while other days she is relaxed. I can tell she doesnt fully trust me.. I was just asking how I could get her more comfortable...

She will settle eventually :) you will get used to each other eventually, some take longer than others :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

No need to speed anything up. Just appreciate them for what they are and their differences. If you want more interaction, perhaps look at getting a cat or dog.

You have had the "problematic one" for two weeks and you don't like the way it handles?
It's probably stressed by it's new environment and by you trying to cuddle it. Leave it be.
Snakes are not play things. They are solitary animals that don't need interaction with you.

Classabear, in amongst the sarcasm and black humour, there is some good advice for you. To pick out the best points:
Give them both a bit more time to settle in before handling too much. All snakes are different, some will come out of their enclosures better than others, even with regular handling. Some will tolerate the handling better than others, though most will settle down over time with regular handling. Love them as your pets, but always respect them for what they are capable of.
Don't be discouraged. Hope this helps.

PS If you feel like naming your pythons, go right ahead.

Classabear, in amongst the sarcasm and black humour, there is some good advice for you. To pick out the best points:
Give them both a bit more time to settle in before handling too much. All snakes are different, some will come out of their enclosures better than others, even with regular handling. Some will tolerate the handling better than others, though most will settle down over time with regular handling. Love them as your pets, but always respect them for what they are capable of.
Don't be discouraged. Hope this helps.

PS If you feel like naming your pythons, go right ahead.

Thanks! I read that giving them 5 days would be enough time, I guess not. I will leave her alone, perhaps for a week or two more. Thank you for the advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back