Still Hungry?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just a quick question, I've just got my stimson out to handle, she's about 300mm and she latched onto my shirt and coiled up like it was food, I only just fed her Monday with two pinkie mice, so she had a pretty big feed as she's only normally been eating one pinkie a week, so my question is do I feed her again or just put up with her biting and coiling until next Sunday when I feed her again? Thanks

Upsize your food, pinkies are not very sustaining at all so it wouldnt surprise me if she was still hungry.

Rick

Maybe you should Czech the fridge?

(Lol sorry, had to be done...)

Maybe you should Czech the fridge?

(Lol sorry, had to be done...)
Ha ha!
Op pinkies are very light on nutrition kinda just like a milk bag go up a size where the food has more substance. As Rogue said.

Rito thanks for the replys I'll upsize and see how she goes

just so OP is clear, should they move up to fuzzy mice? or pinkie rats? I haven't owned a stimsons, but i know i was told to get my hatchies onto rats asap, because of as state above mice aren't very sustainable :D

just so OP is clear, should they move up to fuzzy mice? or pinkie rats? I haven't owned a stimsons, but i know i was told to get my hatchies onto rats asap, because of as state above mice aren't very sustainable :D

Mice are fine for small species (nothing wrong with mice, it is pinkies in general), anything getting over 1.5m should be moved onto rats when you can.

Rick

Last edited:
How long after you took her out did she try and give you a kiss? Could well be a food response mate, but it wouldn't hurt to feed her again something more nutritional add mentioned above. =)

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

A 30cm stimi could eat a large adult mice...

2 pinky mice may be a big feed for a 10cm hatchling though..

Not surprised it bit you, the thing is probably starving. Up your food size to something a bit wider than the snake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see a 30cm stim (or any Antaresia for that matter) eat a large adult mouse! Bear in mind what most buy as a large adult mouse at the reptile/pet shops are nothing near a large mouse! (large adult mouse =30-40gms not the 20-25gm thing that are sold as large)

To the OP, Try offering it a half grown (approx. 15-20gm) mouse for its next feed.

[MENTION=31251]stimigex[/MENTION] You're suggesting a 15-20g feed and would love to see one down a 30-35g feed? Too large for a '20% feed once every 7 days' diet, but could be easily and happily consumed.

They can eat well above "20%" body weight, although clearly many seem to think they only eat prey the size of their head...

A 30cm stimi could eat a mouse but yes there r variations in adult sizes... I would feed a sub adult mouse maybe x2... I was surprised to c a couple yrs ago one of my stimi's eat a DOC and he was only 65cm... Trouble is that's all he eats now god dam it ;)

How long after you took her out did she try and give you a kiss? Could well be a food response mate, but it wouldn't hurt to feed her again something more nutritional add mentioned above. =)

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

not long probably about 2 mins

Shes abit over 3 months old, I only bought her a few weeks ago but she had 10 feeds before purchase all on pinkies and I was told that I would have to upgrade in a month or so that's why I initially only bought the pinkies but I have now upgraded size, thanks for the help guys

No wonder she bit ya, 2 mins after feeding is definately not long enough to leave before handling after feeding, plus you run the risk of it regurgitating the food if stressed too soon after eating, leave her for a day or 2 after feeding.
Like the others have said she may need an increase in prey size for future feeds but in this case I think her feeding response was still in full effect when you handled her.

No wonder she bit ya, 2 mins after feeding is definately not long enough to leave before handling after feeding, plus you run the risk of it regurgitating the food if stressed too soon after eating, leave her for a day or 2 after feeding.
Like the others have said she may need an increase in prey size for future feeds but in this case I think her feeding response was still in full effect when you handled her.

Sorry I must of misunderstood the question, i ment she was out for about 2 mins before biting but I had left her alone for 2 days after I fed her 2 pinkies!!!

2 mins after removing from enclosure, not 2 mins after feeding. That is how i read it.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back