Feeding and Toilet Habits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ris80

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if two pinkies is too much to give my Spotted. She is about 3 months old and around 25-30cm long. She ate one happily for the first time since I had her last week, so I'm feeding her again today and thinking that I might try her with two as the bulge in her belly wasn't that big last time, although she didn't seem to be hungry at all afterwards either.

Second question is how often do snakes "go"? I'm guessing their waste looks much like my bearded dragons waste and I looked right through her click clack yesterday and only managed to find a small piece of white "wee". I couldn't find any other trace of waste. I'm using Aspen bedding in the click clack, so maybe that has made any other waste hard to spot?

Again, thanks for helping out a newbie snake lover!

Charissa

Hey, first of all welcome to the forums...

I would personally use newspaper with hatchies in click clacks. Just throw old used paper and replace and there is nothing wrong at all with using it...

I also have 3 month old stimmy's and they would easily take 2. Feeding them on average every 7 days, sometimes 9 days apart... They poo when they feel like it I guess so no definite time frame. Poo will be brown and smell. You will know I'm sure. Also another reason to use newspaper. During shedding you may find they might not even "go" untill the skin "unplugs" from the cloaca and you will find poo inside the shedded skin... Good luck with the new snake and enjoy the hobby :)

Cheers, Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to add to the post they might even be upto a fuzzie size mouse/pinky rat. I'm moving mine back onto pinky rats next feed as I also have a Hatchy carpet on them and it makes it easier...

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if two pinkies is too much to give my Spotted. She is about 3 months old and around 25-30cm long. She ate one happily for the first time since I had her last week, so I'm feeding her again today and thinking that I might try her with two as the bulge in her belly wasn't that big last time, although she didn't seem to be hungry at all afterwards either.

Second question is how often do snakes "go"? I'm guessing their waste looks much like my bearded dragons waste and I looked right through her click clack yesterday and only managed to find a small piece of white "wee". I couldn't find any other trace of waste. I'm using Aspen bedding in the click clack, so maybe that has made any other waste hard to spot?

Again, thanks for helping out a newbie snake lover!

Charissa

Hi charissa,
I'm a newbie with pythons aswell, I've got a 3month old stimson which I bought a few weeks ago which has been feeding on pinkies, I gave her two last week as the first didn't seem much and she smashed it, thanks to some advice from members on this forum I've now upgraded and she had no problems eating today

30cm long spotted should be on bigger food then pinkies. Pinkies dont cause much/any waste if they are too small. I would suggest increasing food size.

Rick

Hi Charissa, welcome to the disease, unfortunately there does not seem to be a cure so we will expect to see you posting about a plethora of other reptile subjects in the future. Now, as far as your Spotty is concerned, get it onto fuzzie mice as soon as you can as the pinkies are a good way to get them to start eating but there is very little benefit for your snake as far as calcium and roughage is concerned, some people say to get them onto pinkie rats now others say just keep giving them mice up to and including adult mice, i subscribe to the feeding of mice to Spotties, my 2 are 16mths old and eating 1 large adult mouse every 7 days and they are thriving, i just feel if you change from pinkie mice to pinkie rats all you are really doing is giving them a bigger bag of pus, maybe when mine are around full size i might change to medium rats but feel at this time 1 large adult mouse gives them a big enough food bulge and they are not hungry later. As far as toileting goes, while they are on pinkies do not expect much poo, you will maybe see more urates (white stuff) at this point untill you start feeding something more substantial. I hope this has been helpfull and hope to see pics of your baby soon :) ............................Ron

U guys and gals with small ants 3 months plus get them feeding every 5/7 days with fuzzies and keep there temps up as winter is coming... Up grade there food size if they r to comfortable with the feeds u r giving them... Then u will work it all out for yourselves..;)

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful advice. I fed her not long ago and she took two pinkies no worries. I will definitely get some fuzzies for her to feed on from now on though.

Again, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with this newbie!!

Charissa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back