Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got home from fishing Sunday morning, notice some things in the bathroom knocked over, looked in the study, more things knocked over, looked in the kitchen only to find more things out of order.

Check snake room and there is a tub with lid forced open by overgrown bhp, Search the house for 1/2 hr for missing bhp, no sign anywhere. Check the tub and there it is back in its tub inside its hide.......lol

The bugger has escaped, done a lap or 2 of the house and helped itself back into its own tub and hide box......how good is that

So just this evening I had my diamond gizmo out and I was sitting on my bed on my laptop and gizmo had curled up in his usual spot in my hand bag, my partner came in and asked if I wanted to come down town with him. Completely forgetting gizmo was hidden in there I grabbed my bag and off we went.
I didn't realise, he must of stayed very still until we got the checkout and went looking for my wallet.
It was a very awkward/interesting kmart trip lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had our capeyork jungle and baby wheatbelt out wondering on the pavement for some early mornin sun, 1 mtr from where i was watching them. I was distracted for a min on the computer as its right at the back door and I turned back and couldnt see the wheatbelt, I thought it had gotten up with the cape in our little money tree, so i got up to look if this where true and nope our wheatbelt, well my partners first, had vanished, honestly. I searched for 3 hrs totally off my head. partner come home ohh my. anyway my next door neighbor hates snakes, he has seen some of my collection and likes them from a distance but thats it. So me and the partner think the birds took her, she was tiny ay. I decide not to say anything to next door thinking my god shes dead for sure. Well 3 months passes and my neighbors knocking on my door early one morning, he says quick come to my house, big house with pool and everything. He takes me into his spare room where his young grandkids play when they come over, hes packing to leave to do an interstate run in his semi, he's an interstate trucker. hes only been home 2 days as well and is going again. He takes me over to his bag hes packing his clothes in and heres this little wheatbelt girl, not a scratch on her, same size, well i was freaked, with goosebumps ahahahahaha. man we celebrated, he knew not to kill it because he had seen some of mine beforehand. If his wife had seen it well different story she says. she wasnt impressed, still to this day. She is growing well and we have brought her a male friend a year older, ken his name is, and we will breed them in the future. Im more watchful nowa days... as u do...

Elliott escaped out of his tank twice so far...first time my fault, didn't close the door properly...found him UNDER the tank snuggled up to the heat cord. Made a twitch for the front door, can't make that mistake again.

Second time he forced up one corner of the mesh lid of the tank (Knockdown brand, similar to Exoterra), got out a space no wider than a pencil, only to be found snuggled up underneath the tank again!!

He likes to cruise around the top of the background and push up against the lid - my options now are to replace the tank completely and re-do the background, since the background is glued in place; or fill up the space where he cruises around with silicone or similar. That would involve him being back in a small click-clack for a few days while it cured....I might get him a bigger click-clack for a temporary home while the silicone is curing.

My first ever snake escaped within 2 hours of me getting her home. She escaped through the vents in the click clack. I found her curled up in the sewing cabinet. I was freaking out. It hasn't happened again, I am anal in checking her enclosure.

The woma one time, three days later he was back in the room in front of his cage. 0_o Was lucky!

Most, if not all of the people who have shared their stories on this thread are responsible owners.
This thread was started to share these stories to help others avoid the same pitfalls.

No. I'm a responsible owner.

Im a responsible owner, but one of my darwins pushed the cord holder out of the enclosure after 2 years of being in there and trashed my bedroom. I found him when i tried to push the bedroom door open and a 'door snake' was making it difficult,....he was covered in dust and seemed to have had a really good time!!

my hatchy did temporary today. I had him in an exo terra glass style enclosure just to see if it was safe ebough for it. It has little holes for the cords to go through and from what I can gather it climbed the cord for the thermometer and slid through one on the holes and feel behind. Luckily I when I was just about to grab him out and noticed it was on the wrong side of the glass. Beginner Mistake.

Todays Lesson
Hatchys=Click Clack containers.

No. I'm a responsible owner.
One of the things that I don't like about this hobby is how judgmental some reptile keepers can be. We're spending our time on a forum sharing information, we obviously care about our reptiles. Even the most experienced keepers sometimes lose their snakes, it happens to everyone at some point, sometimes it's human error, sometimes it's a manufacturing error. Either way, your judgment of everybody in this thread is unnecessary and, frankly, rude.

My stimmie escaped many many times. But I ALWAYS found her in the same drawer xD

One of the things that I don't like about this hobby is how judgmental some reptile keepers can be. We're spending our time on a forum sharing information, we obviously care about our reptiles. Even the most experienced keepers sometimes lose their snakes, it happens to everyone at some point, sometimes it's human error, sometimes it's a manufacturing error. Either way, your judgment of everybody in this thread is unnecessary and, frankly, rude.
Very well said thumbs up to you

I was at work one day and asked my girlfriend to grab a shirt for me for the evening. She swung past the house to pick it up and my little hatchie wheaty was curled up under the shirt, and gave her the fright of her life!
Turns out he'd escaped out of the tiny gap between the cables and the hole for the thermostat probe out of the click-clack. I just couldn't believe that out of all places to escape to, he chose the only one where my girlfriend would have noticed him!

Nope, had her about 2.7yrs, though she does keep her tail wrapped around you and keep on getting back out of the enclosure when you go to put her back after handling if she wants more time out, she knows we can't close the lid while some of her body is out of the tank, smart girl.

Since accidently lifting the lid off the tank about 5 months ago (lifted the tank up one end but grabbed it by the lid) we had been putting weights on the doors.
Just recently lifted the lid to remove the old silicone and re-siliconed it before putting it back on, still using the weights though because of her size and strength she has.
Also have been tying some strong string around the latches for the lid the whole time we'd had her.

Unfortunately can't say the same for the odd woodroach, centipede and baby stick insects.

I"d just got a pair of hatchie jullatens from qld, I put them in a click clack each and went to bed. When i woke up the female was missing, i obviously didn't close the click clack properly and after searching high and low for a week i figured it was gone forever... Two years later i was in my snake room about to start feeding my collection when i noticed a snake slithering out of a hole that i had knocked in the wall to add another power point, the snake was in good condition and had obviously been feeding on the plentiful mice that were living in the roof and wall at that time (two years of mouse plagues) I was blown away to say the least.

I didn't close the glass completely on one of my children's tanks. Came home one morning from work to find my male missing. Automatically assumed with the dog around she has had a nice snake snack. 4 weeks later when I was cleaning one of the rooms I found him coiled up inside a dvd case. Yes a dvd case! Instantly chucked him in a tub with some heat and threw in a couple of mice. Smashed them down quick smart. Lesson learnt. Always tripple check that the glass is solid against the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back