Alright, new plan.. TV CABINET

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classabear

Banned
Reaction score
8a7a5aqa.jpg

Using this now, how could I knock that middle platform out of the middle safely? If it's possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll notice pappa smurf cut any walls he wanted removed with a jigsaw, leaving bits around the outside (due in part to the size of the jigsaw). Many people leave that space as a way to conceal their thermostats and wiring, or just generally to put things, often because it's easier than removing it. Ask yourself 2 questions: how badly do you want it gone, and how cleanly do you want it gone?

You'll notice pappa smurf cut any walls he wanted removed with a jigsaw, leaving bits around the outside (due in part to the size of the jigsaw). Many people leave that space as a way to conceal their thermostats and wiring, or just generally to put things, often because it's easier than removing it. Ask yourself 2 questions: how badly do you want it gone, and how cleanly do you want it gone?

I am cutting away the side walls that lead into those glass shelf parts like Pappa smurf did, but in that middle compartment I would want that platform gone, or at least be able to use the space for the actual enclosure some how. I will be storing everything in the cupboards underneath that platform. Maybe if I cut around and leave a sort of 'frame' instead of completely removing the platform, it will be less risky. I would definetly prefer it gone, but not at the risk of the cabinet being overly ruined.

Could cut a hole in that platform to sink your water bowl into the floor, wouldnt want to use a loose substrate if that was the case though. Could also then it into a hide, would need to be able to access the snake though do would need a way to get it out (hidge lid or something).

Rick

You'll probably find there's a strip of timber under that shelf supporting it, hammer the panels of wood off of these from underneath and then crow bar those supporting strips off the sides. I don't know if that made sense or not.

You'll probably find there's a strip of timber under that shelf supporting it, hammer the panels of wood off of these from underneath and then crow bar those supporting strips off the sides. I don't know if that made sense or not.
It looks like it's been glued in pretty good. Seems like if I try pull it off, some wood will come off with it.
I might just try cutting a hole in it :)

Could cut a hole in that platform to sink your water bowl into the floor, wouldnt want to use a loose substrate if that was the case though. Could also then it into a hide, would need to be able to access the snake though do would need a way to get it out (hidge lid or something).

Rick
Making it a big hide wouldnt be a bad idea. I'll have swinging glass doors soon, and if I just black out that bottom section of glass and cut a hole in the wood, it could be used that way :D will defs consider this! Thanks a lot!!!

That's a pretty nice cabinet you got there [MENTION=39861]Classabear[/MENTION].
That shelf would come out really easily with a decent hammer. It won't be glued but pinned or very thin nails. Just belt the damn thing it shouldn't hurt the timber at all & anyway, you said you were removing the walls didn't you? So a little damage even if you do get it is no biggy.
What is on the back of it? Most of them just have a pretty thin sheet of fibre board or similar just stapled to the cabinet & if that is the case here then you will have to reinforce it with decent ply wood & glue & screw it in place. If you don't the chances are your snake will push the back off the cabinet & escape. I have a video of when i 1st put my girl in hers & the force she is using trying to find an escape route is astounding. I'm really really glad that i built it strong.

As PappaSmurf said the shelf will probably be held in place with small nails. There will probably be an unstained strip when you remove the shelf as well. The inside walls also look to be like tongue and groove which may fall apart once you try to cut it away. Very nice looking start to the project though.

I did a similar one and it did have a little glue as well as nails but not really a problem.

That's a pretty nice cabinet you got there [MENTION=39861]Classabear[/MENTION].
That shelf would come out really easily with a decent hammer. It won't be glued but pinned or very thin nails. Just belt the damn thing it shouldn't hurt the timber at all & anyway, you said you were removing the walls didn't you? So a little damage even if you do get it is no biggy.
What is on the back of it? Most of them just have a pretty thin sheet of fibre board or similar just stapled to the cabinet & if that is the case here then you will have to reinforce it with decent ply wood & glue & screw it in place. If you don't the chances are your snake will push the back off the cabinet & escape. I have a video of when i 1st put my girl in hers & the force she is using trying to find an escape route is astounding. I'm really really glad that i built it strong.

Alright I'll try belting it this afternoon :) yep the back seems pretty thin, but I though hammering some extra nails in would help that. Would putting a whole new thicker sheet of wood on the back be a better idea, or would tht be enough?

I put an extra sheet of 6mm ply on mine but if you are putting a fake background on then you could just pull the old off and put a new one on. I wouldn't trust it if it was mine.

I put an extra sheet of 6mm ply on mine but if you are putting a fake background on then you could just pull the old off and put a new one on. I wouldn't trust it if it was mine.

Same.
Don't be stinjy [MENTION=39861]Classabear[/MENTION]. Spend the extra couple of bucks & do it right. Also, DO NOT use nails. Glue & Screw EVERYTHING, like i said before, the force they can exert is incredible & they WILL push their way out with half a chance. I am not the 1st to do these by a long shot & a lot of what i learned came from the excellent advice of others on this site including Andy. So take our advice & do it right. For the sake of the animal that will be going in it.

Same.
Don't be stinjy @Classabear. Spend the extra couple of bucks & do it right. Also, DO NOT use nails. Glue & Screw EVERYTHING, like i said before, the force they can exert is incredible & they WILL push their way out with half a chance. I am not the 1st to do these by a long shot & a lot of what i learned came from the excellent advice of others on this site including Andy. So take our advice & do it right. For the sake of the animal that will be going in it.

True, i'll pick up some big pieces of ply wood and some screws on the weekend. What glue should I be using? Thanks for the advice and help! Couldn't have planned this without you guys!!!

Thanks andy! Will do!

As PappaSmurf said the shelf will probably be held in place with small nails. There will probably be an unstained strip when you remove the shelf as well. The inside walls also look to be like tongue and groove which may fall apart once you try to cut it away. Very nice looking start to the project though.

6uqu9e4a.jpg

All done! Now need I figure out how to fix that bad discolouring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back