Grain Mites in Superworms / Mealworms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atpinto

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been trying to beat this one for ages on my own, and I need some help. Everyone was so helpful with the rat problem, I thought i'd try here first.

So, I have grain mites in my superworms and mealworms. I have started over 3 times now, and after a few months they come back, and overtake the tubs and I have to throw everything out and start again.

Ive read and followed some of the advice I found here.
How I Got Rid of Grain Mites | Gecko Time

But keeping superworms out in the cold doesn't work well. I know I tried, mites and superworms gone, mission accomplished, kind of....

So my setup is just a small operation, 5L tubs with rolled oats as bedding, I microwave the bedding before hand, and let it cool before use.

I have 3 adult tubs, and 3 baby tubs, I use carrots, broccoli, and orange peels as food, and change out every 2-3 days.

Tubs are kept in my snake/reptile room for convenience, and I am happy to move them, but don't want grain mites in my kitchen, in the bedrooms, well, basically anywhere else if they come back. One time it got so bad there were mites all over the furniture in my reptile room. terrible, had to take everything out and clean and put back, a whole weekend job :( .

I have since also moved house, thinking it may have just been the other place a bit damp etc. but no, at the new place same problem....

I'm hoping it's not just me and others have had this problem, any advice always appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Grain mites cannot live in a dry enviroment whereas mealies can, so to eradicate them remove all sources of moisture and only feed the colonies veges etc as little as possible.

ok, thanks for the quick reply. I have been feeding way too many vegies by the sound of it.

I will try that right away!

Thanks again.

Wouldn't the grain mites just be an additional food source to whatever you're feeding?

Appart from having too many...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back