Snake help ASAP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiBeck

Reaction score
Hi again guys

I bought a new bigger enclosure for my albino darwin Ezio, hes been in there since yesterday and this afternoon i opened his hide and was greeted by a massive poo, and my snake covered in it...It was watery but solid, like a fresh one, and there was very little urate. Is this a cause of stress from a new enclosure?
The past three feeds he has had pinky rabbits equal in size to a medium adult rat-what he usually eats. (They were on special and there was no rats so i decided to try, and he loves them!)
Now my mate has said that rabbits cause severe liver and organ damage and that's what is wrong with him, and that "experts he knows" will say the same thing and is trying to get them to tell me...he also said that even Clayton Knight (local reptile vet) would even agree...:?
From the hours of research i did before feeding him the first rabbit, it seemed that rabbits were great and especially good for younger snakes to help them grow and that they're healthy.
Advice..?

Second thing:
NOTE: This has happened before...
When i was washing the unmentionables off Ezio, he dunked his head and obviously has sucked in a breath of water in his nostrils. He's done this before and had a whistley nose, but it only lasted about a week and there was no signs of crackling in his breathing or bubbles in his nose/mouth, so i didn't think about RI or vets at that stage and left it be.
He has the whistley nose again now.
Will the water clear? Does it happen to all snakes? Or will i need to take him to the vet?

Thanks guys!
Becky

- - - Updated - - -

Also-could he have been slightly impacted?
Compared to his meals, his last 5+ poos have been small, with normal urates.
After his 'emptying' this afternoon, he seems looser and his body more relaxed and soft, instead of his usual muscly-stiffness.

#1 stop listening to your friend, he knows nothing.

#2 any sloppyness can be accounted for because pinkies of any species are mainly bags of water with not much of anything else

#3 they dont always pass urates with poo

Don't worry about the head dunking, altho a week long whistle seems strange, if hes still eating I wouldnt worry about it.

[URL=http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] stop listening to your friend, he knows nothing.

#2 any sloppyness can be accounted for because pinkies of any species are mainly bags of water with not much of anything else

#3 they dont always pass urates with poo

Don't worry about the head dunking, altho a week long whistle seems strange, if hes still eating I wouldnt worry about it.

I will PM you re #1 ...

- - - Updated - - -

According to this person he is way too huge a yearling and probably has severe growth damage from 'speed growing'
I'm not trying to powerfeed! He grew faster than i thought but i fed him what was a good size for him

I doubt u have anything to wry about... I have a het Darwin that whistles every time u handle... Done it for 2 yrs... Healthy as

Does this "friend" actually keep snakes? If so I would be concerned for them Lol... Rabbits are an excellent food source especially for large snakes that require feeds of +500g.

Last edited:
Hi again guys

I bought a new bigger enclosure for my albino darwin Ezio, hes been in there since yesterday and this afternoon i opened his hide and was greeted by a massive poo, and my snake covered in it...It was watery but solid, like a fresh one, and there was very little urate. Is this a cause of stress from a new enclosure?
The past three feeds he has had pinky rabbits equal in size to a medium adult rat-what he usually eats. (They were on special and there was no rats so i decided to try, and he loves them!)
Now my mate has said that rabbits cause severe liver and organ damage and that's what is wrong with him, and that "experts he knows" will say the same thing and is trying to get them to tell me...he also said that even Clayton Knight (local reptile vet) would even agree...:?
From the hours of research i did before feeding him the first rabbit, it seemed that rabbits were great and especially good for younger snakes to help them grow and that they're healthy.
Advice..?

Second thing:
NOTE: This has happened before...
When i was washing the unmentionables off Ezio, he dunked his head and obviously has sucked in a breath of water in his nostrils. He's done this before and had a whistley nose, but it only lasted about a week and there was no signs of crackling in his breathing or bubbles in his nose/mouth, so i didn't think about RI or vets at that stage and left it be.
He has the whistley nose again now.
Will the water clear? Does it happen to all snakes? Or will i need to take him to the vet?

Thanks guys!
Becky

- - - Updated - - -

Also-could he have been slightly impacted?
Compared to his meals, his last 5+ poos have been small, with normal urates.
After his 'emptying' this afternoon, he seems looser and his body more relaxed and soft, instead of his usual muscly-stiffness.

You sound like you have a lot of respect and care for the animals you have. Please don't let an armchair expert like your "friend" stamp that out.

Your friend is more than welcome to come on here and discuss his "information". But until your friend can get their facts straight I wouldn't listen to a word they say.

I think you listened to this person before and did the wrong thing. As everyone else has said don't listen to him because he knows nothing. I would rather feed rats than pinky rabbits though. I feed mine rabbits but they are replacing rats that are over 250g because they start getting a bit fatty.

Probably been said before but:

* Find a better source of snake husbandry advice

* Go back to rats until the snake is big enough to eat a much more developed rabbit.

* It is common for some of my snakes to pass fluid and urate one day, and the brown stool the following. Passing of one without the other would not overly concern me unless I was seeing other symptoms/signs of a problem.

* Carefully monitor the 'whistle' and wet nose over the next couple of weeks. If really concerned, ensure that temps are good just in case and observe tongue flicking etc..... It is likely it will cause no ill effect but careful observation will pick up on any sings of something progressing.

* As a sidenote, I have an MD that gets a bit of a 'whistle' up sometimes when handled. I have encouraged her to be more in tune or perhaps pick up a song or two but has not worked thus far....possibly due to her being tone deaf. She is perfectly healthy.

With close observation you will get to know your animals behaviours and know what is normal and what isn't, and when to hit the button to investigate further.

Agreed, pinkies have undeveloped bones and wont be an adequate source of calcium, therefore they'll pass quicker..maybe give Clayton a call, with your friend present. Should be good for a laugh.

Ez is going to be put back onto small adult rats-his usual food. No more bunnies until hes big enough to eat rabbits with hair!
What i read on bunnies being great food, ive worked out that only accounts for older bunnies, and i understand about pinky rabbits now :D
Thanks guys for your proper, educated advice and help ;)
Will keep an eye on his whistling nose now :)

Thanks again guys!

I wouldn't worry about the poo at all. Pinkies as said, is pretty much water in a skin bag rofl.

And snakes don't always do no 1s and 2s at the same time. Freya just last night passed urates only. So no stress :)

If your snake has noisy breathing or any sign of fluid from it's nose or mouth, assume it has a respiratory infection and get it onto a course of antibiotics as a precaution - asap. Also make sure it has enough heat.

Don't use antibiotics "as a precaution" - that's why they're losing their effectiveness. Use them ONLY when there is a DIAGNOSED need for them. If the noisy breath is just from submerging the head, you have nothing to worry about. People rush to their keyboards on this site to offer sometimes very poor advice, and the RI thing is one of the most common for armchair experts to diagnose and suggest treatment. There are number of reasons why snakes sometimes have audible respiration, and RI is probably not top of the list of suspects.

Try never to use any chemicals or medications "as a precaution" - wait for a full diagnosis.

Jamie

Don't use antibiotics "as a precaution" - that's why they're losing their effectiveness. Use them ONLY when there is a DIAGNOSED need for them. If the noisy breath is just from submerging the head, you have nothing to worry about. People rush to their keyboards on this site to offer sometimes very poor advice, and the RI thing is one of the most common for armchair experts to diagnose and suggest treatment. There are number of reasons why snakes sometimes have audible respiration, and RI is probably not top of the list of suspects.

Try never to use any chemicals or medications "as a precaution" - wait for a full diagnosis.

Jamie

Yeah thanks i was thinking the same, and i couldnt get meds without going to a vet anyway so if i did go, the vet would say whether or not i needed them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back