Stimson's or South West Carpet Python as first snake??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gilesm89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi.

First post on here. Just hoping for a bit of advice.

I am really keen to get a pet snake as I have always wanted one ever since being a kid.

The two main beginner ones here in W.A. seem to be the Stimson's and Carpet. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pros and cons plus any experiance you have had with either. I know that the Carpets get bigger and are more expensive but was wondering if the extra money is worth it.

Is it best to buy a hatchling or adult?

Does anyone have the details of good breeders in the Perth region.

Just any pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

The stimsons python would be a better first snake. They don't get very big as adults but will still help you get comfortable with handling and other basic care.
Stimsons are also from my experience less inclined to bite than a carpet. In saying that a bite froma stimson would not hurt as much as a carpet anyway.
As far as supply goes in WA I an't help you, browse the market place section of this forum.
Good luck

Get the one you want, bite shmite and get a hatchling. You will learn more as it grows. If you get an adult you miss out on the experience.

Both are great snakes. Its realy up to whichever 1 you prefer of the 2. I bought a stimson as my first but had always wanted the south west. I ended up with both within 6 months. Personaly the favourite out of mine would be the south west. I find it to be more enjoyable watching him grow so much faster than the stimson. But the downfall of that is it will cost more earlier if you get the south west as a hatchy because it will out grow its click clack very fast and need the full enclosure, and obviously the larger tanks are more expensive. If not worried about the cost id go the south west. That bieng said both are both great animals. And in my expierience stimson has a more placid nature, but that varies between animals. Whichever you choose you wont regret it.

Yep south west carpets are quite small compared to their eastern sub-specie counterparts. And they make excellent first snakes.
My first snakes were young SWCP and when I got stimis, I was a little disappointed with them haha :)

Get a hatchling and your handling skills will grow as the snake grows.

I breed SWCP each year. Should have some ready to go early next month. Actually a clutch this year from the girl in my avatar.

For the first 6-12 months you only need a click clack, heat cord and a pulse proportional thermostat.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get a SWCP, get a hatchie as suggested. You'll get used to it before it gets big, and ultimately they don't grow too big anyway. Quite a few should be on the market this year - Snowman has some, I have some (mine not ready to go until end May), a few others I know of have bred them too. Meanwhile, whichever you choose to buy, do some reading on their husbandry, esp as young snakes. And don't be afraid to ask questions, as you have done here. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back