Stimsons age/weight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
Hi guys, my pilbara stimsons was born in I think December 2012 and he's about 170 grams. He
Looks to be about half the size of an adult stimsons. Do you find this the average for a little over a yearling or is he on the small side? He's a
Pretty fussy feeder during the cold so he is refusing atm. Cheers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No right or wrong. They all grow at different rates. Fussy eaters grow slower and that's fine.
Wild specimens grow no where near the speed of captive stock and that's just normal.

Yea I figured as much. As long as he takes something every now and then that's all that matters really. Was just curious. :)

If your heating is sufficient, the cold should not affect the feeding response, afterall yesterdays maximum at Ashtonfield was about 30C and today is forecast to reach the same. "Fussy feeders" are normally the result of some environmental influence. Having said that, your animals weight for age it quite acceptable. I suggest that your heat is probably insufficient to achieve quick metabolism which in turn produces quicker digestion, appetite and growth (if that is what you want). If your animal is feeding irregularly it may not have used the previous feed before you are offering the next. What are the temperatures in the cage during day, night, winter, summer?

I find WA stimi's just switch off regardless of heat. Males first, then the females stop feeding too. Most of my males stopped feeding last month.

I find WA stimi's just switch off regardless of heat. Males first, then the females stop feeding too. Most of my males stopped feeding last month.
So do you think it is a photoperiod response? Our juveniles were on 12 hours artificial light/ twelve hour dark and 28-32C ambient all year, and they seemed to feed all the time.

So do you think it is a photoperiod response? Our juveniles were on 12 hours artificial light/ twelve hour dark and 28-32C ambient all year, and they seemed to feed all the time.
I tend to think they just have internal clocks. My animals are on 12/12 heat and light. It's still in the 30's here in perth. Nights are a bit cooler, but weren't when the males stopped feeding.
I will say, most of mine are wild caught wheatbelts. So perhaps that plays a part. But I've found many people here with WA captive bred stimi's find their animals switching off too. Many adult males will typically not eat except a few months of the year in many cases. Yet still have condition and breed well.
Is there a change in pressure? Can the smell/taste a change in seasons? I really don't know.
My olives, BHP's, Swcp, etc will feed all year round on the 12/12 heat light cycle. And hatchie stimi's will eat their first year no probs too.

I find WA stimi's just switch off regardless of heat. Males first, then the females stop feeding too. Most of my males stopped feeding last month.[/QUOTE

Here in Vic we find the same thing with all the WA adults, There is an exception in that we have no trouble keeping the young snakes (hatchie to 15 months) feeding all year round. At about 18 months their body clocks kick in and they will cycle like all the other adults.

Here in Vic we find the same thing with all the WA adults, There is an exception in that we have no trouble keeping the young snakes (hatchie to 15 months) feeding all year round. At about 18 months their body clocks kick in and they will cycle like all the other adults.

Yep its an interesting anomaly with them.

I've added supplementary ambient heat to his enclosure before and it didn't do much to make him feel like eating during the cool months last year. I think as snowman said they can just sense a change in the seasons and their instincts tell them to stop eating.

once my stimson hit 18mths the last 2 years she has gone off food exact same timing (3.5yrs now) but last year only lost 20grms or so and has 24 hour heat, she has not eaten in last 2mths.

MY Broome stimmie has gone off her food at this time of year for the last 3-4yrs.. will not eat for the nxt 3-4mths and then start again.

the temps are always left up around the 32Deg mark ... she just goes and hides down at the cool end and stays there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back