Alright, new plan.. TV CABINET

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Use PVA wood glue, I found "Tarzan's Grip" to be really good, its available from bunnings and cleans up with a damp cloth.

You will need to try and find a stain that matches the existing colour, give it a light sand and re stain the inside, 1 or 2 coats of a water based stain and varnish in 1 should do it.

6uqu9e4a.jpg

All done! Now need I figure out how to fix that bad discolouring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will be near impossible to match a stain and get it to a point were you can't notice it. The best suggestion is cover it with a background. You can go down several paths, 1 a fake rock background 2 something similar to PappaSmurf's background (bamboo , thatch ) or 3 a mural (either painted or stick on picture). I used stud adhesive to stick my plywood on but that was because I had it already.

As mentioned wood glue/ pva glue doesn't smell and water based or liquid nails smells a bit till it's dry but is very strong as for stain looks like teak from the pic u should be able to get it close enough

It will be near impossible to match a stain and get it to a point were you can't notice it. The best suggestion is cover it with a background. You can go down several paths, 1 a fake rock background 2 something similar to PappaSmurf's background (bamboo , thatch ) or 3 a mural (either painted or stick on picture). I used stud adhesive to stick my plywood on but that was because I had it already.

Where would I be able to get stick on pictures big enough from? I'm thinking that would be the easiest way

If you haven't butchered the piece you pulled out you can actually flip it upside down and use it as a false roof to hide all your wires and possibly use flush mount lights.

If you haven't butchered the piece you pulled out you can actually flip it upside down and use it as a false roof to hide all your wires and possibly use flush mount lights.

Yep, butchered most of it. Was the only way to get it off. But damn I wish there was another way to get it out without it breaking, coz that would have been awesome!

With regards to the stain, you should be able to take a piece of the old shelf into a hardware (bunnings or mitre 10 etc.) and match it fairly close to one of the samples they have on display. I wouldn't worry if it is not a perfect match as once the enclosure is decorated you won't be able to tell.

With regards to the stain, you should be able to take a piece of the old shelf into a hardware (bunnings or mitre 10 etc.) and match it fairly close to one of the samples they have on display. I wouldn't worry if it is not a perfect match as once the enclosure is decorated you won't be able to tell.

That would be something that I would notice and look at every time I looked at my enclosure and each time it would annoy me more and more. You are right though most people probably wouldn't care.

Match it as best you can with stain the pine will eventually darken up and match in. With other dressing in there it will largely hide the mismatch anyway.

I'm thinking of painting the whole cabinet a different color to maybe hide it. would I need to sand back whats on it now, or can I just paint over it? I think that would be the best way to hide it, as the sides are discolored as well, and I wouldnt want a rockwall around the openings to the other areas.

Most paints should have instructions on the back with what you need to do if the timber is already painted or stained just read the back of the tin before purchase as some paints may need a primer first but most should be fine after sanding the timber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back