tyre kickers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragondragon

Reaction score
I had my first experience with these today they were demanding I bring my paper copy of my licence and that they view my drivers licence. from all the times I have bought reptiles I took my licence the first time the guy said that it's fine if I have my lic number suburb written on a piece of paper so I never have taken my licence with me. so I got to the agreed location 45minutes early waited till around the time that was agreed sent the person a text to let them know I was there almost an hour went by with no reply no phone call I didn't have my licence on me cause that's how most people go about their business but I had an email from npws for an export lic which had my licence number and address. finally I received a call once I got home saying they called npws and that I needed to show them my licence I agreed and we then agreed to meet at 2:30 so I got their 10 mins early waited till 2:30 text then they texted me saying they didn't want them saying it's law to show licence I call them and said I had my licence with me as we agreed and that if they needed to call npws with my licence number that would be fine but I don't want to give my details over the phone they agreed and said they'll be 20 minutes about ten minutes later I received a text saying they won't be coming cause if I had my licence in the first place they would of came I waste my whole day off first time selling first person to reply other people were interested but I told them they were spoken for so now the other people don't want them. Do people get a laugh out of wasting people's days or is this normal???

Unfortunately it's becoming normal, people not having consideration for others and their time.
I sell small stuff like agate pendants, vintage toys etc here and there for cheap and even selling that kind of stuff I've had plenty of tyre kickers and people trying to barter down the price on stuff that's only $15 and below.

I had someone after a gecko. He told me to 'put it on hold' and he'll get back to me.
two weeks past so I decided to email him back. He told me not to worry about it and he had found someone else willing to sell one to him.
I sold the gecko soon afterwards.
just the other day he got back to me wanting to know if it was still on hold for him.

I keep a a PDF copy of my licence on my smartphone for anybody to view for a sale. It is requirement so I ensure I can produce it when required - Some ask for it, some don't.

Given how easy it is to give out a number and name without any proof (NPWS did not help this recently by making all exhibitors at SOFAR publicly display their licence numbers) I am not greatly offended if a buyer or seller wanted me to prove who I was and that I was legitimate. There are so many unlicensed keepers out there with animals I am certain it would not be too hard for them to grab somebody else's licence number to offload animals to unsuspecting licence holders........but perhaps it is just the cynic in me.....

You will quickly learn those who are genuine and those who are not

I haven't brought in a new animal for a couple years but name, suburb and license number was all the information I provided and was provided with when buying. And really, name and license number is all anyone should need. If NPWS think it's dodgy they can always look up the records. I think this is entirely reasonable, not everyone needs to know your exact address for security reasons. If people need to sight my license, I can happily show them a copy with my address edited out (never needed to). If that has changed, it'll make buying and selling a riskier proposition IMHO.

id rather not make a sale than hand out my address, it really shouldnt be necessary.

Put them on a list of people never to deal with again. Make it a book though because it will fill pretty quick. ;)

I bought some wheeleri off you last year Chris and I think I didn't even have my licence number I texted you it later

- - - Updated - - -

It more that they wanted to see my drivers licence that made me worried cause that has my full address on it

After waiting around for an hour and not hearing from them I would have stopped dealing with them at that point. Its amazing how many people in this world are rude enough to make arrangements, not show up and then contact you later as if its no big deal. One chance is all they get with me then its over as far as Im concerned.

I'm learning slowlyhave put photos on my ads maybe not enough description for everyone I dont want to be rude. I even said to meet halfway but I would rather not do that anymore just tell them to meet me close by but not my house. It would be a good idea if the npws made a card the size of a driver's licence with your name suburb licence number and the class of your licence

There are alot of people out there doing this. I have accidently wasted peoples time before myself, mainly due to there not being a photo or full description on the ad then after enquiring finding out it was not what I was after. But I do always appologise for the inconvenience.

I understand people needing your license details at the point of sale; but your driver's license?? What on earth for?

I understand people needing your license details at the point of sale; but your driver's license?? What on earth for?

I think in QLD you are also supposed to site the buyers Drivers Licence as proof they are who they say and not just got someone else’s reptile licence and say they are that person. I find that unlikely and never ask to see a proof of ID. Most buyers in person bring their reptile licence for me to see and I ask them to do that the first time I deal with them. It makes filling in the movement advice quicker than asking them to spell names etc.
I always take my reptile licence if I buy in person. Never been asked for another proof of ID.

When a sale is remote and you freight the reptile you only ever deal with the details in an email so you never site the licence in person. I believe most people going to the trouble and extra cost of freight are genuine. You sort out some dodgy ones fairly quick when they ask you to 'post' a reptile.

The licences here have our address on them and both parties are supposed to record these. I have sold from my home and picked up from other buyers homes. I don't think the majority of QLD keepers are that paranoid but I don't deal in high end reptiles and my home has security cameras. If I was breeding very expensive or rare morphs I might be more cautious about giving the location of such animals.
Theft risk is not restricted to licenced keepers and I would find someone without a license to be a more likely risk. I do not give my address on a first contact without confirming they have a licence.
Other people you don't even know will end up knowing at least some of what you keep and pass that on to others. Any trade people I have here are always very interested to see reptiles. I also have regular insect deliveries to my house so many post and courier employees will suspect I keep insectivores of some type.

On the original topic of tyre kickers, yes I have also had those. You can get that selling anything, not just reptiles. They say they will pick up on a particular day and don't show and don't contact me. When I contact them they say they changed their mind or purchased from someone else. It is just rude if they don't let you know. If they are up front about it, it is not so bad.

You get tyre kickers.. almost the expected norm these days.

Make your life as a seller easier:

It ain't their's till the money is handed over
Fulfill all legal requirements beforehand
and DEFINITELY NO I WON"T HOLD IT FOR YOU... you want it come and buy it with your paperwork done and money transfered or in your hand
You ain't there within 15 mins of the designated time... without letting me know why, don't bother calling back

I never give people my address. Recently I sold a large portion of my collection and rAts, and 2 of my customers had horror stories. One said he didn't need the bulk order of rats anymore as all his adult pythons were stolen. The other said he just got back in the reptile hobby after 5 years. 5 years ago he came home to find a huge hole cut in the side of his reptile shed, and everything taken. You just never know who you can trust.

The most annoying kind of tyre kickers are people buying pet rats. They want the world for a very small amount of money.

It would be a good idea if the npws made a card the size of a driver's licence with your name suburb licence number and the class of your licence
Here in SA the licence/permit is a card the size of a drivers licence or credit card. Very handy to carry in your wallet or purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back