Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The main point the others haven't bought up that I'd seen mentioned in the past numerous times on reptiles in relation to feeding snakes birds is that they produce alot sloppier and stinkier poos, so long as your prepared for that than go ahead.

I hear this a lot....but to date I have yet to see it in any of my snakes. I had one exception recently where a snake that I was feeding more regularly than normal over a month produced a runny poo.....I am not convinced this was as a consequence of the quail she has been eating or whether her system was reacting the to the increased frequency of feeding given that she has been on quail for months and never done one like it previously. My Bredli actually 'compresses' his and you can see the broken up feather segments in it....much like the fur in the stool when fed rabbits.

There is another keeper in my area that feeds all his snakes quail and it not getting the 'runny poo' syndrome.

I know that some people have reported that it happens......I am just not convinced it is the quail itself. Maybe some animals adjust differently to a change of food source. I have enough snakes here on quail producing normal stools to be convinced it is not a sole consequence of being fed quail.

Thanks for the reply, good to hear from someone that's been feeding theirs quail a bit longer, good to hear the runny poo is a irregular thing and not common like reading around made it sound.

My guys has been eating nothing but quail and pigeon from Baden, hasnt made any difference to their waste.

My stimmie was alternating between mice and quail until he decided he didn't want quail anymore. He now feeds exclusively on mice.

Wouldn't say runny, but when fed the day old chickens, our pythons have had a different consistency to their poop. Not a problem by any means.

I must have missed the thread re not swaping from Rat to mice why is this. In the wild snakes don't always get to fed on the same diet. My snakes eat rat,mice,quail and chicken all feed well breed well and grow well. I have done this for many years I have had no ill effects on my snakes and they have always been given great bills of health from their yearly vet checks. I own 15 snakes and amongst them I have 4 breeding pair. Two pairs are proven breeders who self incubate and two are a new pairing that I haven't breed.

I think it has more to do with the reluctance to take rats after being offered mice. I know my snake won't go near a rat but loves his mice.
In saying that I didn't persist too much as I have no real need to change as he is only a stimmie.
Can anyone with more experience in this comment?

I can't answer that for you in regards to your stimmie preferring his mice. I have bredli, carpet pythons, childreni and different locals of stimmie's. I can feed rat today and then mouse the next week or I can give rat and if they seem still alittle hungry follow up with mice or vice versa. I can also give my darwin carpet a rat xlarge, then quail then chicken he can tend to me a little bit of a piglet at times.

I have one snake who won't take anything but rats, but he has been a major fuss pot from the beginning.
Then the other guy gets chickens, rats, rabbits and he nearly got himself a magpie once when we had him on the lawn in the backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So all :) Loki has since crapped out his quail and
All seems normal on that front . Lol
Perhaps it could be the quality of the quail that causes sloppy crap? I feed him a 3 week old quail too if anyone was curious. [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] at this stage I'd say it you were thinking to give them a go, its worked out fine here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back