Still hungry? :o

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beans

Alright I fed Freya, last night. She ate a small weanling rat, and usually when I feed her she goes into her hide for a few days and I don't see her.

When I fed her last night it took her probably half an hour to accept there was no more food, and disappeared. Today shes out again, and to see if she was still hungry, I waved my hand beside her tank and went all rigid and was intently following it. Normally when I do that to test if shes all good on food she just shys away.

So I'm wondering, if I should give her another weanling, or not. I just don't wanna over feed her but she seems hungry still. Also I think these weanling rats are just a bit smaller than the first lot I gave her a few weeks ago.

What age/species is your snake? And what temps are you keeping her at? But yes, she does sound hungry.

People, you really need to give info such as species and age. You may have posted what all your snakes names are in one of those kind of name threads but most who will be able to give good info don't read them and have no idea what your snake is!

She's a yearling darwin python. I keep her at about 31 32 degrees

I dunno how the hell she can be hungry when these are only a fraction smaller than the first ones she had o.o

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
They can handle large feeds, especially in moderation. Feee her again in a couple days.

You won't be over feeding her if she is showing signs of being hungry.

I'd imagine it's up for debate but I'm not sure whether that is entirely true. Being opportunistic hunters pythons will gorge themselves on available prey. Obesity is possible in captivity, partially due to over-feeding and the sedentary nature of enclosure life. Some of my snakes will show signs of hunger in the middle of winter when temps are not at all suitable for feeding. Similarly, I can feed my large carpets two x-large/jumbo rats a meal and they'll still wait around for more, or be on their perches scanning the floor the next night. I don't think feeding until refusal each meal is advisable, they can be gluttons. But it's probably a subject for another thread.

Last edited:
[MENTION=23064]Focus[/MENTION] What you are saying is true in a general sense, and I agree. However, if, as in Beans' case, there is a change in normal behaviour, it won't hurt to offer another prey, either in a day or two, or even a smaller one. Maybe it's a case of needing to start on the next size up.

[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] I agree, in this case given the age of the snake my comment is irrelevant lol. hence the new thread remark. i'm just wary of people reading comments and assuming they must be true without qualification, which is a mistake i made a few times when starting out.

The danger of the written word. :) When we hear something spoken, it is easy to interpret the meaning. However, when it is written, it can be interpreted in so many ways, unless the absolute right words are used.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think shes just gunna have to wait for a bit. I'll give her 2 more days and see how shes looking. :3

It's funny though... going just on her behavior you would think shes never been fed >_> Little piggy haha

@pinefamily I agree, in this case given the age of the snake my comment is irrelevant lol. hence the new thread remark. i'm just wary of people reading comments and assuming they must be true without qualification, which is a mistake i made a few times when starting out.

Sadly the next size up is just too big. Small weaners were perfect for her. Made her stretch a bit haha but I wouldn't go the next size, they're too big.

These weaners were just a fraction smaller than the last ones.

I have a spotted that is a pig and will keep eating regardless and she is 4yo. She had her normal hopper and then since the other spotted wouldn't eat I gave her the weaner aswel and she was still looking. For those who may say the hopper is too small for her here is the reason. She is a very small spotted and was fed small b4 I got her. She is now taking weaners on a regular basis and it is a really big stretch for her as we can see the feet and head of the rat even after she has got it down to her tummy :)
Good luck with your snake and hope it does settle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back