Question about thermostat and heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blocka89

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all got a question about heating I've got a reptifx probe thermostat with a heat cord running off it it's heating two click clacks with a stimsons and a blond mac in them so the question is I've got the thermo set to 30 but the tiles on top of the heat cord gets up to 40 degrees and the hot end of the click clack gets up to 36 do I need to turn the thermo back to about 27 to allow for the extra temp so it will bring the temp in the click clack to 33 or is something else wrong with how I've set it up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 67
Have you tried sitting the probe directly on the tile so you are controlling the actual surface temp of the basking spot? That's usually the best method with heat cords

Never trust what your thermostat says, always use an independent thermometer to measure enclosure temperatures as there are many factors that can influence actual temperatures.

Have you tried sitting the probe directly on the tile so you are controlling the actual surface temp of the basking spot? That's usually the best method with heat cords
Thanks I'll give that a go

I have very similar 'tiles' to yours except mine are not 'fixed' but are portable with a timber frame and floor in them etc.....

My thermostats are always set using an IR temp gun on the surface of the tile...that is the temp I am wanting the snake to enjoy. The number on the thermostat means nothing as long as the tile is at the correct temp.

Yep thanks I put the probe on top of the tiles they now get to 36 and the click clack gets to 33

try taping the probe to the tile if you can, the bigger enclosure has probably given more airflow around the probe compared to the click clack

Make sure you do not put any tape anywhere that the snake can get to because snakes and sticky tape is a bad combination.

When it comes time for the snake to live in the enclosure I'll silicone the probe in place I put a another tile on top of the probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back