Rough scales on spotted python a problem?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tirwin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

one of my spotted pythons has a few scales on his belly that appear to be cut/rough. i tried to take photos of this but could not get a good enough picture. his enclosure is very clean and the substrate of paper towel is dry, and because the scales feel dry i don't think it's scale rot. he hasn't eaten for a few weeks now which is normal for him coming into winter. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the rough scales on his belly are a problem or not?
Thankyou for your time

Check for mites

Sometimes they hide under the scales making them appear rough

Mites hide under the scales which pushes them up giving them a rough look. Thoroughly check him for mites, if he has them you will see them on his body. Check under the chin and around the heat pits and eyes. Also check his bum.

Check his water and see if theres anything in there. You will see little black specs which are drowned mites.

thanks everyone for your reply's. I've checked him and his water bowl and can see no mites. I think he may have scratched his scales on the light cages in his enclosure. does anyone know if this is a serious issue?

Nah its not they should go back to normal if that's the case

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back