Artificial plants are yummy!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriquar

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Definately had a "pic" or it didn't happen moment about half hour ago,

Heard rustling in Lennies (Stimson Python) Enclosure
Had a sneak peak to my horror - Lennie coiled around his artificial vines, mouth clasped onto a leaf ( still attached to whole vine) and him attempting to swallow it!
Managed to get him to spit out the leaf. He usually gets fed every Wedneday, but much later in the afternoon.

Why on earth would he do that?, they were new vines that had been rinsed off, and completely dry and been in his enclosure for a few days, he had travelled over and under them to get to water dish and cool end hide. Obviously I am not putting them back in, so now his house looks a little boring, but I guess he wont mind.

I freaked out so much, I didn't take a picture, had visions of him choking or swallowing the stalking bits.

On a lighter note, maybe he was hinting that he wanted a Side Salad with his meal lol.

Last edited:
Lol, maybe that's what they meant by "pinky vines".

Fil...

My Albino Darwin struck an artificial vine fair and square earlier this week while striking at her quail dinner......She wrapped it and held for a while before she sheepishly let go.....In her case it was in the way when she struck her quail so I knew her motivation. In your case I am unsure why...but something clearly made it think it was food for a split second...long enough to take a strike anyway.

He has been in this enclosure for 2 weeks, previously he was in a tub.
I noticed the vines made a crackling noise when touched, wondered if He got confused and thought it was dinner. He wasn't going to let go, had the 2 and half coil thing happening, and had both jaws firmly clamped around a leaf, and was starting to twist his body around, it was when i saw him actually start to "walk" over the leaf that freaked me out, thank god i was in the room and caught him before he actually ate any of it.

He has never been fed in his tub or enclosure either. Got me stumped, but I solved the probem, just removed them from his house, I guess he will have to have a plant free house.

He may have moved the vine causing the leaves to move, which could sparked a feeding response to the unknown movement. Especially if it was not previously there and there was no moving furniture in the enclosure before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back