jackys and beardies.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hooglabah1

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick queery, has anybody kept jacky dragons and eastern beardies together?

I can see the heating issues of central beardies and jackys, I was more curious about the size difference, have kept beardies before but never jackys so I was wonder if they would make acceptable tank mates?

Just wanting to build a mixed lizard enclosure.
Space isn't an issue just thought the combination of arboreal and terrestrial lizards would be cool.

Enclosure is 1800x600x600.

Not a good idea at all.
Keeping two different size lizards (even of the same species) is a pretty big risk.

Thats what I thought, I wasn't sure of the exact size difference, I know both get quite long but beardies get big ol frog mouths and stocky bodies whereas jackys seem to be thinner.

I have done it in an outdoor pit. 4mx 3m. Didnt have a problem but in a confined space such as an indoor enclosure you risk predation by the larger animal.

No no and no. They don't hang out in the wild so don't force them into in captivity. It's not fair on the animals and it causes much un-needed stress

Eastern beardies and jacky dragons do.
Same range same habitat.
My question was one more of predation issues.
Imo any risk is too much, so I'll stick with jackys by themselves :)

Eastern beardies and jacky dragons do.
Same range same habitat.
My question was one more of predation issues.
Imo any risk is too much, so I'll stick with jackys by themselves :)

No beardies are solitary and don't even like to share with their own kind. They only come together to mate. Made the right choice though

See I've heard people say this about beardies before, however decades of other people keeping them in trio's without issue begs to differ this train, 10 years ago when I started it was the norm, however, as we all grow as herpers I suppose we rethink acceptable husbandry practices.

I was shocked when I stepped bacl into the herpatology world last year that it seems to be accepted practice to keep snakes together these days, that worries me.

Theres a lot of people that know everything in the herp world. Makes advice on forums hard to decipher....

They have the same distribution, but they do not live side by side in the wild.

They have the same distribution, but they do not live side by side in the wild.

That's what I mean. They might have the same distribution and CROSS PATHS but they don't freaking decide to make dinner plans or anything.

They would rather be on their own than be with another lizard unless they are breeding.

- - - Updated - - -

Theres a lot of people that know everything in the herp world. Makes advice on forums hard to decipher....

I don't know everything. Nor does anyone on this forum. There's a lot of people that know a lot about certain things but no one knows EVERYTHING.

This how ever I know. I know that you really shouldn't be keeping a solitary animal WITH a different species. Yeah sure people have done it in the past and had no problems but why risk it? Theres a high chance it will go pear shaped, and they will fight over food, basking rights etc. Its stress the animal just doesn't need in its life.

I wasnt referring to you Beans with that comment. I'm sorry you took it on board....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back