Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyewall

Reaction score
This year I'm planning to pair up my adult diamond python and my male jag hopefully I it goes well. Any one breed these before or similar?

That is an old debate that seems to go nowhere. Just because something has been done does not make it legal.

Here we go again. @Hamaliscious there is at least 5 high profile breeders near you that have them. ;)

It's legal in NSW and QLD says it is illegal however, does nothing to stop the hundreds of mixed carpets bred every year, neither does Victoria. If something is not legal but yet the powers that be do nothing to stop it does that mean it's OK?

PS I personally only breed wild type locality pure animals but I don't think there is any way to possibly stop mixed breeding from continuing. It's too far gone now.

THey r very common in the UK..... Nice looking to ;)

if you cross diamonds with any other sp. down here in S.A. and the powers that be find out you will get a visit and all illegal cross bred animals they find will be confiscated, I know of one bloke that did it and he was gone over with a fine toothed comb, lost the offending animals and was warned to never do it again, he pleaded ignorance of course and avoided a rather hefty fine.

if you cross diamonds with any other sp. down here in S.A. and the powers that be find out you will get a visit and all illegal cross bred animals they find will be confiscated, I know of one bloke that did it and he was gone over with a fine toothed comb, lost the offending animals and was warned to never do it again, he pleaded ignorance of course and avoided a rather hefty fine.

Jags aren't a different species though. They're a different sub-species. I thought it was only an issue down there if you were trying to cross M.spilota ssp with something like M.bredli or M.viridis

Jags aren't a different species though. They're a different sub-species. I thought it was only an issue down there if you were trying to cross M.spilota ssp with something like M.bredli or M.viridis

No if you cross a M. bredli with any other sub species or a M.spilota spilota with any other sub species then you will be in deep poo, that is how it is down here, and even if you have a natural intergrade then you would probably lose that too.
i know jags are not a separate sp but they are still not allowed to cross breed with diamonds or bredli down here.

Last edited:
And I got flamed for asking about coastal x diamond. Unreal

Well, there's a percieved value in 'jags'. In my mind they're just another mongrel, and the arguement of what to do with the non-jag siblings makes me a little uncomfortable.

The difference with coastal x diamond is it's mongrel without the percieved value, so they're harder to find homes for and often the information of what variety of cross-breed they are gets lost in translation. Personally, my issue is when a mongrel turns back into a pure in the books and gets bred back in to the gene pool unknowingly. (And yes, the word mongrel is used to express my distaste. I don't want to be tactful today, I just don't like it).

No if you cross a M. bredli with any other sub species or a M.spilota spilota with any other sub species then you will be in deep poo, that is how it is down here, and even if you have a natural intergrade then you would probably lose that too.
i know jags are not a separate sp but they are still not allowed to cross breed with diamonds or bredli down here.
This will help you with your point. If you have a read through it you may have a bit of a laugh because they seem to refer to a bredli cross coastal as a Jag and quite interestingly do not allow any Jag as there may be IJ blood in them, which is probably right from what some people say about the ones first imported into Australia.

Warning against cross-breeding native animals*-*Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR)

Last edited:
If you have a read through it you may have a bit of a laugh because they seem to refer to a bredli cross coastal as a Jag

It makes it sound like the cross-bred animals in question were jags, not the bredli-cross-coastal. However it is ambiguous. I'd say that's the fault of the author, not the information.

Interesting that they think there's Irian Jayan blood in some jags. Wouldn't surprise me if the first jags were imports. That's a disgusting thought, and I choose not to form opinions, but it wouldn't surprise me. (Every time I think about import/exported animals, I see the scene from "The Straits" where they pack black-headed-pythons into DVD cases for export. People are pigs).

What's the makeup of the Jag male you will be using tyewall? Here's one I produced a few years back. If I get a chance over the weekend I'll try and photograph some of the ones we produced this year and post up for you to check out.

Attachments

• dj (800x442).jpg
    dj (800x442).jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 86

All empty threats... There is currently no way to prove Morelia sub species crosses in a court of law. This is why the south australian parks and wildlife are currently trying to map the DNA of each sub species. That is directly from the department so unless you are doing a species cross ie Bredli, gtp ect there is nothing legally they can do...

Hi Troy.k im not sure the person I bought it off did not tell me. But he looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back